Mythos - Golden Fleece

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Jaysneezy
Information

Post by Jaysneezy »

Hello, I’m trying to figure out what the hell this thing is. Here’s the description from the website:

“The Golden Fleece an incredibly simple circuit that skirts the line between overdrive and fuzz.

Based on a much talked about pedal used by Wilco's Nels Cline this simple one knob unit lives in your guitars volume and tone controls. The Golden Fleece cleans up better than almost any other fuzz out there and the single knob on the unit is a master volume control. The unit has a very balanced tone that doesn't shift your guitars sound just offers a biting, yet full sound that would work for a variety of musical styles.

Incredible full fuzz tone
Responses to your guitar volume & tone controls.
Single transistor with hand selected clipping diodes
Single volume control on unit
Quality through hole components
True Bypass switching”

So I’ve found this gutshotfrom an old reverb listing of the proto of the latest version:
Mythos Golden Fleece gut shot
Mythos Golden Fleece gut shot
kjhmqhdqe7y8snrd2q9s.jpg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 690 times
I’ve also found on a video comment somewhere someone claimed the transistor is a 2n5088. So my question is, does anyone recognize the circuit at all or have any other guess as to what it is?

dv8r601
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey ranger 212

Post by dv8r601 »

Electra derivative. See : 99% of lovepedal designs

felixvaughn
Information

Post by felixvaughn »

I'm pretty new at this but I have been looking at the electra a little bit. I have looked at this photo and I have some questions, I don't see a pulldown resistor in this photo and I think the top resistor is for the led, (512R?) that leaves 4 resistors. In electra based circuits there are usually only three resistors. One between the voltage to the collector, one between collector and base and one from the emitter to ground. What would the 4th one be for? Could it possibly be used in series with another resistor?

Here are some of my guesses, what do you guys think?

The input and output capacitors look the same size and are often 100n in electra based circuits, so I'm going to go with that.

The resistor from the voltage to collector 47k

Between the collector and base 2m2

From the emitter to ground 680R

Asymmetrical diode clipping with one germanium and one silicon.

This leaves what I think is a 47k resistor unaccounted for.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I'm going to guess it uses the other 47k resistor as a pull down from the way it is so close to the input cap at one end and appears to be connected to the black ground wire at the other end: Much lower value than usual, and does horrible things to the input impedance but might well improve the clean-up (useful since it has no gain control)
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

p.eat
Information

Post by p.eat »

I remember reading somewhere wht the pedal is based on, but I can't recall what it was. :hmmm:
Also if you check out the Mythos Instagramm-Account there is a partial pic of the schematic.
If I find out what I forgot I'll get back....

p.eat
Information

Post by p.eat »

Found it: suposedly it's based in a Alan Yee fuzzy nuts.

felixvaughn
Information

Post by felixvaughn »

I did some digging on the Mythos pedals Instagram, I thought these photos might be of some help.
jX32D4y.jpg
A close up of another prototype or from very early in commercial production.
F9CASD4.jpg
Pcb version boxed up.

Comparison between pcb versions. Newer version is on the left.
Screenshot from 2018-03-24 14-11-46.png
Screenshot from 2018-03-24 14-11-46.png (461.15 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Unpopulated new pcb.
Attachments
PomdQKf.jpg

felixvaughn
Information

Post by felixvaughn »

This is a close up of the schematic for the Alan Yee Fuzzy Nuts.

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

felixvaughn wrote:This is a close up of the schematic for the Alan Yee Fuzzy Nuts.

[ Image ]
I think we need more zoom to get to the bottom of this. A closer close-up. Something that will tell us what the machine that made the paper that the schematic was written upon, based on the fiber layout... :shock:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

disgusting
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Its an electra with different values.

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

I really like my Mythos Golden Fleece and have just discovered that the Mythos High Road is exactly the same circuit, only with Bat41 diodes. So I'll give those a try as well. The Mythos Au79 also seems to be the based on the Golden Fleece, but with different values and a different diode pair. Anyone have more info on that one?