Crazy Tube Circuits - Constellation Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

https://crazytubecircuits.com/constellation/
Just came out at winter NAMM. Probably nothing terribly original in there, but I'd like to see how they managed the switching between the three germs to get all those classic fuzz tones (FF, TB x3, RM, RM>FF). Demos do sound good.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The first three options are essentially the same circuit with a few cap value variations and using only two of the three transistors. The TB mkii and RM->FF are basically the same circuit (again, maybe a cap or two switched) using all three trannies and the RM would just bypass the second and third transistors. However, I can't see how that could be done with the usual 2P6T rotary switch, so there is either a very complex multiple pole passive switch or some fancy digital switching going on. Interesting.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Nocentelli wrote:very complex multiple pole passive switch or some fancy digital switching
Or some rotary pole dancers stomping on cmos/fet switchers.

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

It does seem as though a microcontroller and some cmos switches must be involved.

gonzomode
Information

Post by gonzomode »

:thumbsup
ctc_c1.jpg
ctc_c2.jpg
ctc_c3.jpg
ctc_c4.jpg
Pots are c1k for gain and b500k for volume

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

Huh! So it really is just a 2P6T rotary switch! Looks pretty traceable/DIY-able, doesn't it?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Ben N wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 13:08 Huh! So it really is just a 2P6T rotary switch! Looks pretty traceable/DIY-able, doesn't it?
Yep, although it seems weird to go to all that effort and not include a voltage inverter so you have to use a separate power supply.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Nocentelli wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 11:14 Yep, although it seems weird to go to all that effort and not include a voltage inverter so you have to use a separate power supply.
It would have been so easy for them to do this as a negative ground circuit, even without an inverter. Lack of imagination.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran