Powering EHX 18v pedals

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Anyone comment on the feasability of opening up a EHX 18v pedal such as the POG, wiring a charge pump in series with the power lines, and running the pedal using a standard 9v tip -ve supply / using a spot on a pedal power type brick supply?

I think this would be much preferable to another wall wart, but wanted opinions before I get the pedal...

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

One thing to keep in mind is the current draw of the pedal. For instance the POG has a 18V 500mA power supply, and while the pedal probably doesn't draw that much, your charge pump IC circuit needs to be able to deliver a supply current in that ballpark. This rules out the ICL7660SCPA and MAX1044 for example, as I believe they're rated for a maximum current of around 20mA (have read you can get up to 50mA though).

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

mysticwhiskey wrote:One thing to keep in mind is the current draw of the pedal. For instance the POG has a 18V 500mA power supply, and while the pedal probably doesn't draw that much, your charge pump IC circuit needs to be able to deliver a supply current in that ballpark. This rules out the ICL7660SCPA and MAX1044 for example, as I believe they're rated for a maximum current of around 20mA (have read you can get up to 50mA though).
Damn. Good point.