WEBER Transformer enclosures

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
bruin2k3
Information

Post by bruin2k3 »

Hi, I'm thinking of using a WPDLXFMR. What enclosures do you guys use for this? It's kindof a beast and won't fit in a more common enclosure, right?

thanks in advance!

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

You are correct !! That transformer is very nice for what it provides, but it IS quite ungainly.
Like you, I was searching for a good enclosure for it. But there was no way that I was
going to make a Voodoo Labs 2 from it. However, I got an idea that was perfect for me......
I decided to build my own "Pete Cornish" style pedal board using this (and other) transformer(s)
to power the individual circuits. The deep side on the box is very adaquate for the power
section, while the middle area holds the circuit boards. It's not completed yet, but it has been
a lot of fun. Anyway, that's what I came up with. Good luck finding your enclosure. :)
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

I was considering this enclosure at one time. Check out the dimensions. If you already have the
transformer, maybe you can trace the dimensions on paper, lay the transformer on the drawing
and tell if you think there is room for the transformer, circuits, outputs, fuse, etc.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=698
–Hunter S. Thompson

bruin2k3
Information

Post by bruin2k3 »

thanks! I thought about that one too. I haven't gotten the transformer yet and the dimensions on the weber website aren't very clear. It's not completely clear to me whether it'll fit or not. There's gotta be something that it fits into though, right?

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

I did buy the enclosure so I have it on hand to measure. The internal working space would come from the
"bottom" portion of the enclosure consisting of the bottom and front and back sides. The real working
dimensions are 11 7/8" length X 2 3/4" wide X 2 1/8" tall. The transformer is 2.5" X 2" X 1.5" thick.
The transformer has holes in the four corners requiring about 1/2" to 3/4" standoffs (or stacks of washers)
to mount it. It also has wires coming from both sides. With the transformer mounted in the middle of
the enclosure (with the 2.5" side along the 2.75" box width, and the wires running in both directions, you
would have just under 5" of space on each side of the box for the circuits and jacks. With the circuits near
the bottom and the jacks above them I believe it would be quite feasible to have 4 or 5 jacks on each side.
I think it's a good fit! This is what I was planning before I decided to go with the "Pete Cornish" style
pedalboard. The box is almost $20 so don't purchase it on a whim. In my limited search for an enclosure
this is what I came up with. With more searching you may come up with something you like better.
–Hunter S. Thompson

bruin2k3
Information

Post by bruin2k3 »

awesome info dude! That's just what I was looking for!
PokeyPete wrote:I did buy the enclosure so I have it on hand to measure. The internal working space would come from the
"bottom" portion of the enclosure consisting of the bottom and front and back sides. The real working
dimensions are 11 7/8" length X 2 3/4" wide X 2 1/8" tall. The transformer is 2.5" X 2" X 1.5" thick.
The transformer has holes in the four corners requiring about 1/2" to 3/4" standoffs (or stacks of washers)
to mount it. It also has wires coming from both sides. With the transformer mounted in the middle of
the enclosure (with the 2.5" side along the 2.75" box width, and the wires running in both directions, you
would have just under 5" of space on each side of the box for the circuits and jacks. With the circuits near
the bottom and the jacks above them I believe it would be quite feasible to have 4 or 5 jacks on each side.
I think it's a good fit! This is what I was planning before I decided to go with the "Pete Cornish" style
pedalboard. The box is almost $20 so don't purchase it on a whim. In my limited search for an enclosure
this is what I came up with. With more searching you may come up with something you like better.

bruin2k3
Information

Post by bruin2k3 »

Hey PokeyPete,
I forgot to ask...did you get the -1 or the -2?

Thanks!
-2k3

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Unfortunately, I don't think the -2 would fit. So if you live where 220V
is the standard, you'll need a different enclosure. The 2" height of the
box would be too small for the -2 transformer's smallest dimension
( 58mm height......approximately 2.28" )
–Hunter S. Thompson