inexpensive 9v adaptor - improving filtering

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking it should be fairly straightforward to improve the quality of DC supplied by a cheaper 9v PSU salvaged or bought - match the performance of a more expensive (likely overpriced) Boss branded 9v PSU perhaps :scratch: .

I was thinking if I perhaps added a simple pi filter - like at the beginning of the DC HV line in an amp - in a little box of some kind on the lead that could only help?

Or perhaps an inductor - like you see on the leads of the better PSUs. But how should you determine how many henries you would need for the effects you plan to power? Or is that a difficult question to answer (involving some intricate maths!) :?
Yet to break through the Space Charge

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Ok - so I've learnt that I'd need an oscilloscope to discover what frequencies you want to eliminate with a choke. And that the whining noise I've been troubled with on occasion is very quite probably a product of switched mode supply (but I'm not breaking open any sealed psu to find out)

That's all I needed to know - so I'll give my own post a thumbs up/thanks. :|

Anyway, I'm going to build my own power supply unit now based on RGK's Spyder and Mictester's advice on here.
Yet to break through the Space Charge