AC Power Questions

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
JackStraw164
Information

Post by JackStraw164 »

I am finishing up my DIY power supply using the WPDLXFMR-1 transformer (8 11vac windings and 1 9vac winding). Two questions.

1) Can the standard DC Jack used in most pedals be used for the 9vac? I cannot find any documentation on this.

2) The 9vac winding is actually 10vac. Will this harm pedals looking for a 9vac? If so, what can I do to have this drop down to 9vac?

Thanks,
Scott

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

JackStraw164 wrote:I am finishing up my DIY power supply using the WPDLXFMR-1 transformer (8 11vac windings and 1 9vac winding). Two questions.

1) Can the standard DC Jack used in most pedals be used for the 9vac? I cannot find any documentation on this.

2) The 9vac winding is actually 10vac. Will this harm pedals looking for a 9vac? If so, what can I do to have this drop down to 9vac?

Thanks,
Scott
1) Yes, as long as it's plastic (so that none of the connectors are auto-connected to case ground)
****might be a good idea to dab some red fingernail polish or something on the outside jack as a visible warning*****

2) Which 9VAC pedals do you own?

I'm not sure what the thinking is on creating that 9VAC 2A winding. It would make a very nice 5VDC 2A 7400 TTL supply,
but pedals don't use TTL. It would make a 7-8VDC dying battery sag, but 2A is way overkill. You could combine it with another
9VAC to create 18VAC then rectify and regulate to 16VDC for a nice Baja Real Tube Driver power supply. It is such a nice,
powerful winding, but I'm not sure of it's real purpose. I'm just rambling until someone who knows what it's for,or how best
to use it, chimes in. You probably have some ideas of your own already anyway!! :hmmm:
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

JackStraw164
Information

Post by JackStraw164 »

Thanks. I was planning on using the 9vac for powering a midi pedal board and a Whammy Pedal.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Cool !!! :D

As far as measuring 10VAC.......remember you were measuring it without a load on it.
As you get closer to drawing 2 amps from it, it will drop to 9VAC.

If you get a chance, post a picture of your supply....I'd like to see how it turned out. :D
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson