Diode and capacitor in voltage protection circuit

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
fishfude
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fishfude »

Hi Folks,

In the image below, I believe the diode and capacitor are there to protect the circuit from too high a voltage coming from the DC power source (correct?). My question is what is the exact purpose of the diode and the capacitor are, and why were they specifically chosen?

http://imgur.com/j1hm9

Many Thanks,

ff

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Please wait for someone else who is more knowledgeable to reply, but I believe they are for reverse polarity protection which is meant to save your circuit in the event that someone hooks up the pedal with the polarity opposite what it should be.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Cheezor is right: only a reverse polarity protection, but just the diode.
The cap is for power source filtering... but 22uf? It looks a little "short" since any chinese wall wart can have a 1000uf inside

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

More like decoupling rather then filtering.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Duckman wrote:Cheezor is right: only a reverse polarity protection, but just the diode.
The cap is for power source filtering... but 22uf? It looks a little "short" since any chinese wall wart can have a 1000uf inside
Oh yeah. I totally spaced that. :oops: Thanks! :thumbsup

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

FiveseveN wrote:More like decoupling rather then filtering.
Like in a voltage divider? Mmm... maybe

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor
There's a duplicate thread on the other forum and another tangent discussion that provides more concise answers.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I think this is semantics of our favoured terminology. Decoupling, power filtering, ripple reducing, the cap can be performing all of the above.

The real mystery is why builders keep using parallel protection diodes without a fuse so that under reverse polarity the diode can take a chunk out of your board.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

FiveseveN wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor
There's a duplicate thread on the other forum and another tangent discussion that provides more concise answers.
Tanks. First line of the mentioned article:
This article is about the use of capacitors to filter undesired noise from power supplies.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

IvIark wrote:I think this is semantics of our favoured terminology. Decoupling, power filtering, ripple reducing, the cap can be performing all of the above.

The real mystery is why builders keep using parallel protection diodes without a fuse so that under reverse polarity the diode can take a chunk out of your board.
No mystery here. Boss did it that way because their 1A diode would get hot (but not burn) when hooked up backward to their 1A PSU. No fuse necessary. Boutiques and diyers copied Boss because... Er, tradition, I guess.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.