Rechargeable batteries

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

Are rechargeables the Anti Christ? Do they put out too many volts or are there any other issues?

Its either those or I'm buying a job lot of PP3s online - I guess cheap ones to beat "left the plug in" drain syndrome.

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

they are better than the non rechargeable ones. I prefer the wall wart because batteries are bad for the environment.

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

I'm aware of the environmental implications - I just wanted to know if there are any electrical factors to consider, like level and consistency of output. Even regular batteries are said to vary amongst themselves.

I swap pedals around quite a lot, many are of different sizes, and I change the order - so batteries are more convenient. I do own a Pedal Power 2 so its not as if I don't have that option for a more permanent setup.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

I've never bothered with batteries. I've seen quite a few (regular ones - never tried rechargeable) with varying voltages. Anything from 8.8v to 9.3v. I stick to my regulated power supply. That does the business for me!

I am Klon.

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

Professor SourTone wrote:I'm aware of the environmental implications - I just wanted to know if there are any electrical factors to consider, like level and consistency of output. Even regular batteries are said to vary amongst themselves.

I swap pedals around quite a lot, many are of different sizes, and I change the order - so batteries are more convenient. I do own a Pedal Power 2 so its not as if I don't have that option for a more permanent setup.
sure there are. Running batteries you're likely going to get cleaner and less noisy results. Batteries are isolated from one another so you don't as much of the ground loop issue. As for consistency, many effects beyond the boosts and od will suck them dry fast. Given you have a pp2+, the advantages i listed are moot. I would stick to the pp2+.