3PDT and power

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.

3PDT and power

Postby sbanacho » 07 Nov 2013, 22:52

Kind of a n00b question, but why when we use a 3PDT do we use one of the poles to turn on/off the LED? Why not instead turn on/off power to the whole circuit?
sbanacho

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: 3PDT and power

Postby Nocentelli » 07 Nov 2013, 23:49

Have you ever disconnected and reconnected power to a pedal when it's plugged into an amp? Massive pop.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 738 times

Postby beedotman » 08 Nov 2013, 09:21

Nocentelli wrote:Have you ever disconnected and reconnected power to a pedal when it's plugged into an amp? Massive pop.

Is there any way to avoid that? On Off switch to disconnect battery is cool feature on pedal, but this pop is uncool...
http://www.turretboard.org 4 life!
beedotman
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 393 times

Postby Nocentelli » 08 Nov 2013, 16:30

You could have a simple SPST switch to break the power connection, but it would pop if you forgot to turn the amp down/off before flicking the switch. A power off switch is only really neccessary if you use batteries and don't want to unplug the input cord to power off the pedal. I can't see the point in lnking this to the footswitch: Quite apart from the pop, many pedals would not work for a second or two after switching on as the capacitors need to charge, and some modulation effects need a bit of time for the LFO to get going.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby beedotman » 08 Nov 2013, 16:48

yeah, I used rotary switch to disconnect battery when input jack is plugged, I thought there is some way to avoid this pop...
http://www.turretboard.org 4 life!
beedotman
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 393 times

Postby Nocentelli » 08 Nov 2013, 17:06

I'm sure there's some sort of "soft power on" circuitry out there, I just haven't come across it yet.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Return to Power