DIY Isolated Power Supply idea?

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
SwamperGene
Information

Post by SwamperGene »

Hi all. Been a while since I've been around but finally getting back into dabbling again :)

I've been putting together a pedalboard and the idea of powering it is on the table. As a typical tinkerer, I'm looking for a good DIY way before dropping the cash on a big dollar Voodoo or similar setup. Looking at lots of ideas like the Weber transformer and the Spyder setup, both very easy project ideas but both could cost at least a moderate sum and the bulk is an issue. Then I had an idea.

I work in the auto salvage industry, and I always find Apple product chargers in wrecks...the little white cubes. I'm wondering if it would be possible to put two of these in series to get a super-clean 10V source for each output with plenty of current, which could then be simply regulated to 9V? The guts of these things are very compact and a bunch would be able to fit in a small enclosure.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there would be any issues with doing this? Technically, it wouldn't be the same a wiring two transformers in series as there are filters/regulators/etc between the trannies and the 5V output. Any thoughts?

jubal81
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jubal81 »