Power Sources, 9V verses.....

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 63' Fender Bandmaster
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

Hi, I've got a simple question. For some pedals you use a 9V battery to power the unit but on other units there is a real power source that plugs into the box from the exterior. I'm new to pedals in general and would like to know what the different kind of power sources are commonly used. Fro example I've seen some threads like https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... =Veroboard where different power sources (12V, 18V etc) are discussed but I'm not clear on whether this is a matter of power source so some kind of converter from the internal battery. Can someone explain the different powering options?

Much thanks,

K

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Virtually all pedal effects require a 9V supply which is can get from battery or, as you say, external power supply. The external power supply will plug into the mains and give you a certain voltage DC to plug into the effect. Some effects are designed to be capable of a higher input voltage supply such as 18V DC which can have certain benefits such as increased headroom, but you have to look at each pedal on an individual basis to decide whether those benefits are of interest to you.

I use 9V on every pedal with the exception of a Fulltone OCD which I think sounds fizzy at 9V, and so with only having one pedal to power I'm not really bothered about getting an 18V power supply, so I just use a 9V Powerall with a 9V to 18V converter that I made which works great.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 63' Fender Bandmaster
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

Thanks for the heads up, now I'm less confused about why people were mentioning 12 and 18V. Is there a standard connector for pedals thatthe DC goes into and if so what's it called? Also, ever seen designs for a DIY powerall? Much thanks,

Ken