Problem with 9v power...

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
joel.chandler
Information

Post by joel.chandler »

I told myself I was going to figure this out by myself...but after wiring and rewiring, tracing and re-tracing, soldering and re-soldering i think i need some help. I was careful to follow the layout (both times) i wired the rangemaster from GGG http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/dia ... _lo_pp.gif and it does work just fine by itself powered by a 9v adaptor. But when I daisy chain it in with the rest of my pedals it will cut the power to all of them as soon as the both input and output 1/4" cables are connected to it. It will also work by itself and in chain with the rest of my pedals if i use a 9v battery. Does this mean that I may have a bad 9v jack somehow? :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Do you use isolated DC jack (isolated from the enclosure)? The positive ground shorts your wall wart power supply with ne negative one in the daisy chain...

edit: and welcome ;) ...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

joel.chandler
Information

Post by joel.chandler »

It is isolated from the enclosure and none of the connections are touching anything else...I just read a post on the gear page where someone was having this issue with a wah pedal, but never explained how they resolved the issue...they said it was an issue with the ground wire but never said what they did to fix it...

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

The short you make is with your in and out jacks... The sleeve is at 9V from the power supply, and directly linked to the ground of other pedal, coming from the same power supply: SHORT!!

That's why it cuts...

Have you been through this http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/pnppower.htm?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

joel.chandler
Information

Post by joel.chandler »

That does help! I am slow though and trying to find pictures of examples. I am also new at this and electronics and still learning :oops: ...so i appreciate the patients :). So basically that is saying that if i want it to work with my other pedals i have to wire it like my other pedals. So i am just trying to figure out how to do that w/o messing it up completely again..heheh i have a greer peace maker that works with all my other pedals and so i am trying to see if wiring it the same way he did will work...thanks for all your help. you don't even know how frustrated i was...

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

joel.chandler wrote:thanks for all your help. you don't even know how frustrated i was...
I built my two first pedal with metal DC plugs. The first one worked ok alone with power supply. The second too. Both at the same time too... But with a third Boss one, it all went wrong... :evil: Until I found out!! :D
joel.chandler wrote:I am slow though and trying to find pictures of examples. I am also new at this and electronics and still learning :oops: ...so i appreciate the patients :)
Go safely at your own pace here, it's one of the nicest place to learn about electronics (we're all learning!)... Feel confident! :horsey:
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

I own a polarity reverser (from visual sound) for my Orange micro crush. With this you can use a standard Boss PS, but still have to use a dedicated one for your pedal...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

joel.chandler wrote:So basically that is saying that if i want it to work with my other pedals i have to wire it like my other pedals. So i am just trying to figure out how to do that w/o messing it up completely again..
There's a circuit around here by soulsonic, It's very simple, it takes your typical 9 [V] supply and turns it into a -9[V] supply, wihtout the ground compatibility issues.

----------------------------

Other thing that could work is wiring all the DC grounds to the +9[V], but leaving the input and output reference grounds connected to, well, ground.

I'll post a drawing. I don't know if it will work well, but I remember seeing that someone here did it and went OK.

----------------------------

I found it;
JHS wrote:I did the Keeeley trick on a PNP RM-clone some time ago. Wired the I/O-ground to the negative pole and increases the I-cap a bit (only for compensating the added highs). Same sound, better dynamic response and overtones and no problem with other NPN-FX. IMHO sounds better than a RM with neg. ground and NPN trannie.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Here's the drawing, it is just an example, it's not the rangemaster.
Attachments
Flipatierra.jpg
Flipatierra.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

joel.chandler
Information

Post by joel.chandler »

Gah, you guys are awesome. I think I understand a little bit better now. I am going to try all this tomorrow when I got a clear head and see what happens :). I was wondering why the green ringer I built worked with all my other pedals but not this one. Now it makes much more sense. Hope I will be able to actually contribute soon. Again, thank you guys!...crap, i think my dogs just ate poop...

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

joel.chandler wrote:crap, i think my dogs just ate poop...
Shit happens! :lol:
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

joel.chandler
Information

Post by joel.chandler »

hahaha literally.
Well I want to thank you guys again because it worked!!! :horsey: It's a little trebley for my single coils so I read on GGG that if you relpace C1 with a .033uF or .05uF that it will take some of the treble off? Thanks again guys!