Metal DC power Jacks

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
shugs81
Information

Post by shugs81 »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the pedal building scene... build a mxr dist+ clone that worked for about a week!! lol...

I Have some metal DC jacks and was wanting to check if i needed to ground them or anything?

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo. ... kw=20-1094

and i'm not 100% sure how to wire them up.. I used a black plastic one before but that meant everything needed to be wired into the case where as the metal one means i can build the whole circuit and then sort the case out after... that one was pos to tip and ground to pin... will it be the same or will i need to ground the sleeve bit too?

Ta!

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

I think you'll find that positive is connected to the body of the jack, so they have to be insulated from the enclosure in a normal negative ground circuit.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes that was the first mistake I ever made with DIY. I bought the metal DC adapters because I thought they had to be better, and then couldn't work out why my pedal sounded like an Ann Summers gift bag.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Greg_G wrote:I think you'll find that positive is connected to the body of the jack, so they have to be insulated from the enclosure in a normal negative ground circuit.
:thumbsup yup.. farnell do sell plastic shims that can go in there, but work out to be about the same price as a normal DC jack, so no value add there. also, once the plastic shim is in there, there's not enough thread (including the shim and the wall of the enclosure) to get the nut on. :(
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

IvIark wrote:Yes that was the first mistake I ever made with DIY. .
Same error to me, but more vicious: it was an A/B box with LEDs... Worked like a charm at switching to amps, but didn't work when connected to other pedals with the same power supply... :scratch:

Still have 10 of these metal DCs BTW.. :lol:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

lolbou wrote:Still have 10 of these metal DCs BTW.. :lol:
Yes me too! :D
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

if you're looking for a use for them, I turned the two I had into a DC output on my 'wooden' pedal board.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Oh, and they might be useful for muliple power distribution (DC Brick like), when no signal is involved or in a plastic box...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

Aaaarrrgggghhhhh! Just came across this thread, and I ordered 5 at Banzai :(
Think I'll just start using 'em 3.5mm jacks for DC, I detest drilling that big ole 12mm in the side. Or just buy a stepped drill, that will not grab like a spiral drill. Still, those dc jacks are very large, is there a smaller alternative (which is insulated from the enclosure)?
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

these? I've not used them really though..
I think they look ugly.. ymmv

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I bought a load of these for the same reason because they only need a 10mm hole. They're not switched but on my own builds that really doesn't bother me, I can't remember the last time I used a battery anyway.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

IvIark wrote:I bought a load of these for the same reason because they only need a 10mm hole. They're not switched but on my own builds that really doesn't bother me, I can't remember the last time I used a battery anyway.
Yeah, they look cool if you don't need a battery.
I haven't seen them before.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Greg_G wrote:Yeah, they look cool if you don't need a battery.
I haven't seen them before.
They're great for me as well because I'm pretty useless at getting everything into the box, especially when using small boxes like the 1590A and so the smaller size makes it easier for me to position everything. I'm really going to have to start making templates one day.

The only time I tend to use a battery is with positive ground circuits (can't be bothered with the messing about or buying an isolated PS), and then I wouldn't bother with an adapter supply anyway. It's great building for yourself and not having to worry about things like keeping customers happy. :)

Ooh just noticed I said 10mm hole, it's only 8mm. The diameter of the front is 10mm. :oops: That must be why I'm useless at getting everything into the box!

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

I like to use top mounted jacks.. so small power jacks are always handy.
You could fit top jacks to a 1290 (1590B) enclosure with those.

Do you know if they're available from any of the bigger suppliers.. Mouser maybe ?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Greg_G wrote:I like to use top mounted jacks.. so small power jacks are always handy.
You could fit top jacks to a 1290 (1590B) enclosure with those.

Do you know if they're available from any of the bigger suppliers.. Mouser maybe ?
much interest! I like the look of these too :D

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I haven't seen them anywhere else, but then again in the UK we don't have too many choices for components unless we order from the US. If anyone's interested in a few, send him and email to see if he'll do anything on the price or on the delivery charge.

shugs81
Information

Post by shugs81 »

I just remembered about this tread.... dammit... that explains why my pedals didn't work....

and i've got another 10 or so lying about.... I was thinking of using some of the clear abs plastic boxes at some point.... just to see what they were like...

may have to get some now....

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Shin-ei Fuzz, Sixties Fuzzface, Fender Blender, Bazz Fuss, RAT, Tonebender, SFT, Blue Box, Super-fuzz, Big Muff (many versions), Mosrite Fuzzrite

Post by Brainbender »

Please, tell me which lug on this metal DC jack is equal to lugs on plastic DC jack. Thanks.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Don't you have a DMM?

The center lug must be green wire one (ground).

The shorter other is the 9V power. The longer last is the battery one.

Sure for the ground lug. Just "looking at a picture" opinions for the two last ones...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

remembering though, that on this metal socket if you make the outer live, then it will need to be insulated from a metal housing (or use in a plastic housing) as this whole thread addresses, otherwise you'll short the earth to +ve and the magic smoke will escape.