Dallas Rangemaster Clone, trimpot question

Frequently asked question regarding resistors, potentiometers, types, requirements, ratings etc.
Cortex
Information

Post by Cortex »

Hello folks!

I just wanted to ask if there is some particular reason for us not to leave trimpots as the biasing resistors? I made a Rangemaster clone, using AC151 germanium pnp transistor, and input cap blender mode, etc.., and as we all know once you get the appropriate voltages then you solder the nearest commercially available resistor values. That's ok, but what if I choose not to, but leave it on the trimpots, what are the consequences?

Thank you guys, in advance.

oh7hhi
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by oh7hhi »

I left trimpots in couple of years ago. Haven't had any problems..

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

There's nothing really stopping you from keeping the trimpots soldered in the cicuit.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Cortex
Information

Post by Cortex »

Tnx friends! :beerforeveryone:

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

i do that. gives you the option to change when you want a different voltage or substitute a different transistor (i socket most transistors).

hell, analogman used a regular pot for the collector voltage on his sunface and put it on top of the enclosure, making it able to change on the fly.