Help with resistors

Frequently asked question regarding resistors, potentiometers, types, requirements, ratings etc.
Rev_evans
Information

Post by Rev_evans »

It might be that I am extremely new to this but these resistors aren't making sense to me. I am trying to build the weber cattle drive hitch was not a good choice as a first kit. Not newbie friendly. Could I get some help with the values of the resistors in the attachment? I very much appreciate the help.

- Jared Evans
image.jpg

cortezthekiller
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: A large highway overpass

Post by cortezthekiller »

Hey Jared,

It seems that most of your resistors have 5 colour bands, which could lead to some confusion.

The first 3 bands are for the value of the resistor, the fourth is the multiplier, and the fifth is the % tolerance (how much the value might vary from what the colours say.

The one one the far right has only 4 bands, meaning the first 2 are the value, the third is the multiplier, and the fourth is tolerance.

Here is some more info:
http://electronicszone.net46.net/articl ... -resistors

Using this information the resistors are as follows from left to right (providing I'm seeing the right colours):

Here's a calculator for figuring out the values easily:
http://www.diyalarmforum.com/5-band-resistor-calc/

Rev_evans
Information

Post by Rev_evans »

I apologize but I am getting progressively frustrated with this DIY " kit". Sorry if this is a poor intro to the forum, been a lurker for awhile. Hoping someone out there might be able to help me make sense of this. Not sure about how to wire the jacks or where or the resistors or anything. The board shows 4 resistors for instance and yet I have 8? I'm in over my head here. Here are some helpful pics.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.04 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rev_evans
Information

Post by Rev_evans »

cortezthekiller wrote:Hey Jared,

It seems that most of your resistors have 5 colour bands, which could lead to some confusion.

The first 3 bands are for the value of the resistor, the fourth is the multiplier, and the fifth is the % tolerance (how much the value might vary from what the colours say.

The one one the far right has only 4 bands, meaning the first 2 are the value, the third is the multiplier, and the fourth is tolerance.

Here is some more info:
http://electronicszone.net46.net/articl ... -resistors

Using this information the resistors are as follows from left to right (providing I'm seeing the right colours):

Here's a calculator for figuring out the values easily:
http://www.diyalarmforum.com/5-band-resistor-calc/
That makes sense with the bands, I wasn't used to the 5 band. Thank you so much for the information Cortez!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

resistor ID:
I can never be bothered with colour identification of resistors.. I'd normally want to check them anyway to ensure I wasn't making a mistake or they weren't mis 'labelled'.. so whack them in the DMM and let that tell ya.. simplest solution.

simplicity of DIY for newbie:
I struggle to imagine a kit/cct that could be any simpler to put together than that is sorry mate.. the only thing I could imagine they'd have done better is to label the resistors on the board, but I suspect they've not done that so you can select the values that best suit your needs... all good getting frustrated (it's part of the charm of DIY) but if you are bothered with this one I'd suggest avoiding the magnus modulus...

how to wire in jacks:
search this forum.. I'd give you a link, but ability to search is one of the best skills you can have in this hobby... hint.. gaussmarkov.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Rev_evans
Information

Post by Rev_evans »

Rocklander, thank you for the input and particularly the gaussmarkov lead. Since the pcb is doing all of the work for me I'm guessing I would just use the provided wire to the pins of the jack?

You are right that this is certainly not as difficult as I thought. Just got overwhelmed. I built an amp recently that had an extremely thorough guide with it, so being left to read a schematic and little else seemed daunting.

I am very thankful to this forum for all if the info and advice.

Rev_evans
Information

Post by Rev_evans »

Thanks again for all of the help!

How does it look? :D
image.jpg
image.jpg

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

:applause: good on ya... frustration is all par for the course.. good work dood!

and yup.. the gaussmarkov link is for when the board doesn't provide footswitch and LED points... (your next project ;-) ) so.. just for the audio jacks really.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Rev_evans
Information

Post by Rev_evans »

image.jpg

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

rocklander wrote:resistor ID:
I can never be bothered with colour identification of resistors.. I'd normally want to check them anyway to ensure I wasn't making a mistake or they weren't mis 'labelled'.. so whack them in the DMM and let that tell ya.. simplest solution.
I can read the 3 bands without thinking about them, I have been using them since the mid 60s so I should be able to read them by now.

The 4 bands however I just stick them across the DMM as it is far too much effort to try and decipher them, and very error prone.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

WIN !
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

The Kyushu Kid
Information

Post by The Kyushu Kid »

deltafred wrote:
I can read the 3 bands without thinking about them, I have been using them since the mid 60s so I should be able to read them by now.

The 4 bands however I just stick them across the DMM as it is far too much effort to try and decipher them, and very error prone.

Delta I find the DMM method totally inadequate for all resistors that I have come across so far apart from some NOS professional 1% metal film resistors...Muplins resistors are the worst I have encountered. How close to the specified value do you need to be in circuits without having to change related values?

square wave
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by square wave »

The Kyushu Kid wrote:
deltafred wrote:

Delta I find the DMM method totally inadequate for all resistors that I have come across so far apart from some NOS professional 1% metal film resistors...Muplins resistors are the worst I have encountered. How close to the specified value do you need to be in circuits without having to change related values?
Not sure I understand your problem; how can a (working) DMM be inadequate for finding a resistor's value?

As for how closely you need to match part values, that's down to context. It might not make a difference if you use 1M or 2.2M as an input pull down resistor, but double a value in a filter or feedback path and your results could vary wildly. The simple answer is: if you don't know what you're doing, match the schematic and your build should sound as intended.