Pots/parts question

Frequently asked question regarding resistors, potentiometers, types, requirements, ratings etc.
travsbluz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by travsbluz »

Hello, My name is Travis. I've been reading here for about a month now, and this is my first post.

I am a relatively new builder with about 15 builds or so. I really enjoy doing this, as it has been a very fun learning experience.

My question is about Pots that you guys use. I've just been ordering from Pedal Parts Plus, so I am not sure what brand they are. I have read alot of negative remarks about Alpha pots, and I guess I'm just wondering what everyone is using, and where you get them from.

I am just at a point where I want to learn more about the parts I'm using, and find which ones work or feel better. Instead of just going to the local Radio Shack and getting what ever they have, and beleiving that they are "good enough"

Also from what I am reading is it safe to say that the "greenie" caps are not the caps to go for? Is there a cap that is a good "all around" starter (for lack of a better word) cap?

Thanks for all of the help on this forum, and thanks for the advice here,
Travis

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

I use alpha guitar pots and they are ok, not top quality but good enough to get a job done. If I'm building something a little more rugged I like to use Piher pots. Caps, now I use MKT standard metallised poly caps, they are not too expensive and sound nice enough. I've started using all sorts of vintage caps recently for the associated mojo 8)

I am Klon.

travsbluz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by travsbluz »

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Trav