Shorting capacitors on enclosure bottom?

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
indybeez
Information

Post by indybeez »

I am sure this is a stupid question, but.....I just built a madbean muffin top. It was a tight fit, and some of the taller capacitors were slightly touching the enclosure bottom. There was a little bit of hum when the gain was cranked up more than halfway, but I attributed it to the nature of the beast. After 20 minutes or so, it quit working. I haven't taken it apart yet, but am wondering if the bottoms of capacitors will short out if touching the bottom of the enclosure, or should I concentrate on looking for solder breaks?

Thanks,

Indybeez

indybeez
Information

Post by indybeez »

by the way....I am referring to electrolytic caps, and the bare metal on end opposite from the leads end.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

indybeez wrote:by the way....I am referring to electrolytic caps, and the bare metal on end opposite from the leads end.

nah, that end shouldnt short.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

could be the pressure of the closed bottom pushing the board on the back of the pot.

Madbean Muffin Top? can't find it, what is it?

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Shoe-horning a board into an enclosure that is too small can cause so many things to go wrong that I don't even know where to start. Make sure your board itself isn't shorting to the other side of the enclosure, check wiring to all the pots and switches, especially where they come out of the board as I have found that to be a particular problem with tight builds. When it works, then quits it is likely a bad solder connection that finally gave way.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

indybeez
Information

Post by indybeez »

Seiche wrote: Madbean Muffin Top? can't find it, what is it?
It's based on the Catalinbread WIIO.