Which way round?

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
AlexBellamy
Information

Post by AlexBellamy »

Another question regarding this build: http://diystrat.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/ ... reble.html

Concerning c4, the electrolytic capacitor. I know which leg is the negative one, but I don't know which way round the capacitor should actually be? For instance, the capacitor is being soldered to holes d6 and e6 on the veroboard, but which hole should the negative leg be soldered to and which hole should the positive hole be soldered to?

Another apology for what is probably a very obvious question, but thanks very much for any help you can give me! The build is going well so far, so I feel like I may slowly be getting the hang of it :D

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Negative leg is shaded darker on DIY layout creator layouts like that, electro caps almost always have their negative terminal connected to or pointing towards ground if they're not in the signal path.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

AlexBellamy
Information

Post by AlexBellamy »

Aaah that makes sense! So the negative leg gets soldered to e6?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yes
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

AlexBellamy
Information

Post by AlexBellamy »

Cool, cheers.

Not sure if I can link images from my facebook, but here's how its looking so far:

Perhaps not the neatest soldering job in the world, but I'm proud nonetheless :D

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Nice smooth bends on the leads of the standing resistors! Before you hook it up to try it out, with vero I would always advise getting a magnifying glass (if you've got one) and very carefully inspecting the gaps between the copper tracks to check no tiny specks of solder have bridged the copper: it will save you debugging time later if you check that now. It's best done in plenty of natural daylight, and it's much easier to hold the board up level with your eye line and tilt it so you're looking along the tracks between each row rather than looking directly down onto the board, if you see what I mean.