Tropical Fish caps with SIX color bands?

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
Magnetar Effects
Information

Post by Magnetar Effects »

Is anyone familiar with Mullard C280 tropical fish capacitors that have six bands? Mullard datasheets only show five color bands. I'm looking for a color code chart to identify the following color sequence: brown, black, orange, white, yellow, brown. Normally I would call this .01uf 10% cap, but they are supposedly .1uf, and I'm looking for evidence to support that. I have found a few pics of six band C280's out there, so they do exist. Here's a few:

Image Image

Datasheets or color charts would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Isn't the 'sixth' band just the body colour ?
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

The other day I seen little modern cosmic device named Digital Multimeter. Rumor says it's widely used by EE wizards and masterminds, some says it's great to measure caps and resistors. I'm not sure how it works with mojo 6-band tropicaps, but maybe it's worth to try...

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

...BTW - boutique industry thinks it is a butt probe

Magnetar Effects
Information

Post by Magnetar Effects »

Lucifer wrote:Isn't the 'sixth' band just the body colour ?
Thank you, Lucifer! It's true what they say: The devil is in the details. :twisted: That is a strong possibility, but I can't find any conclusive info to know for sure.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Looking in my 1968 Mullard Data Book they only list 5 bands

1 - first capacitance value
2 - second capacitance value
3 - multilplier
4 - tolerance, white = 10%, black = 20%
5 - working voltage, it just lists red as 250V d.c. but IIRC yellow = 400V d.c.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

The sixth band could probably indicate something like temperature specs + or - so many degrees C, but you mostly see this spec on Electrolytics..... :thumbsup

My other thought is that the 6-Band Tropical Fish caps might have tighter tolerance specs, and therefore the extra band might be a third figure in the capacitance value, like in the 5-band resistor colour-coding.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

Hey Doc,

Nice attempt at solving the problem.

However, your suggestion creates another problem - it pushes all the other bands down by one - which would give some realy strange values/tolerances and working voltages.

I stand by my earlier assertion that the last 'band' is not actually a band at all, but simply the body colour.

Look at the resistors that you have - they can be blue, green, cream, grey, etc. We don't read anything into the body colors here, do we ?

The only difference with the tropical fish caps is that they are dipped in the successive colours, building up the 'code' - which is why there is no body colour in between the bands (unlike resistors).

If I'm wrong, I'll spend the rest of my days in Hades :twisted:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

No worries Lucifer, I have to admit that I actualy haven't had much experience with the colour-coding on Tropical Fish caps, the sixth colour band being the body colour sounds the most sensible to me, I'm totally open-minded about this in other words.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

No probs Doc. :D

I'm in full agreement with Deltafred. Those are the specs that were in place when I was an electronic wireman at Farnell Instruments in Wetherby (Yorkshire, UK) in the late 60s and early 70s. If I remember back, I'm sure there was a light brown body colour to the 'tropical fish' caps that we used to use (they were all the rage then).

The dipping process (which was also used on the 'body-tip-spot' resistors) was obviously time consuming, which is probably why you don't see many of them (the caps or the resistors) these days.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I actually thought that the various colour-bands were painted-on rather than dipped, so if anything,I guess I've learnt something new Lucifer... :thumbsup

I have a Dick Smith Electronics Digital LCR Multimeter, but as I suspect that it's calibration is a bit off I no longer use it, a pity because it can measure Capacitance as well as Inductance, I might need to go shopping for a replacement one of these days.... :thumbsup

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

Aha !

You've learned something new - which is actually old ! Or have you learned something 'old' which is new ? :scratch:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Lucifer wrote:Aha !

You've learned something new - which is actually old ! Or have you learned something 'old' which is new ? :scratch:

I think it's a bit of both..... :hmmm: :thumbsup

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

If you look at the photos, you can see that the body colour (light brown) is different to the darker brown band - further supporting my thesis.

However, if we had light and dark variations of each colour, just think of the numerous value/tolerance/voltage combinations we could have then ! So, if dark brown = 1, then lighter brown could be something like 0.962 ! Oh, the devil in me is getting so turned on by the possibilities for mischief !

Reminds me of the time I heated up some tinned copper wire and inserted three shortish legs into a piece of black plastic that looked like a transistor header. I made up a totally ridiculous spec sheet for this new device (if I remember, it 'could' give a regulated 5v/1A supply directly from 230v mains - without the need for a transformer, diode bridge, smoothing caps, etc). I then surreptitiously left it on someone's desk in the design department while they were all out at lunch, and nearly died laughing as they fought over it when they returned !

Oh, such devilment :twisted:

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Sinner say it clear: measure it! 8)

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

No need to measure - DeltaFred has posted the official spec for these caps (above).

All the rest is just banter amongst fellow forumites. :twisted:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Lucifer wrote:If you look at the photos, you can see that the body colour (light brown) is different to the darker brown band - further supporting my thesis.

However, if we had light and dark variations of each colour, just think of the numerous value/tolerance/voltage combinations we could have then ! So, if dark brown = 1, then lighter brown could be something like 0.962 ! Oh, the devil in me is getting so turned on by the possibilities for mischief !

Reminds me of the time I heated up some tinned copper wire and inserted three shortish legs into a piece of black plastic that looked like a transistor header. I made up a totally ridiculous spec sheet for this new device (if I remember, it 'could' give a regulated 5v/1A supply directly from 230v mains - without the need for a transformer, diode bridge, smoothing caps, etc). I then surreptitiously left it on someone's desk in the design department while they were all out at lunch, and nearly died laughing as they fought over it when they returned !

Oh, such devilment :twisted:

Lol..... :lol:

When I was doing a certificate in Basic Electronics at Uni, we had this Lecturer who was like an ex-army Seargeant, he wanted us to do our assignments in triplicate, a real moody type, you never knew if he was being serious or just joking around because when he looked like he was serious, he was joking, and vice-versa, anyway he used to tell some hilarious yarns when we were doing our classwork, one day I was busy quietly doing my classwork and he told me to shut up, I ignored him and continued on with my classwork, he told me to shut up two more times and I looked up and said "No....make me!", he smiled and said "say that like you're saying it to Elle Mcpherson", so I said "Make me!" in a sultry tone of voice, and the whole class started laughing..... :lol:

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

Hi Doc - love your story.

Maybe we should have a thread for something like "a funny thing happened to me . . ." or "I did a silly thing once", etc. It would have to go in the Freestomp Cafe - but it could provide hours of fun. I'm sure most of the members here have funny tales to tell. Whadya think bro ?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I think that would be cool Lucifer, I do remember there being a jokes thread which was started by Bajaman, but I think it got bumped down to the bottom of the thread list, there were some really good jokes and funny stories in the thread, I'm pretty big on humor, I love humor in it's many forms, it's great to be able to laugh at things every now and then, so I'm all for a funny stories thread.... :thumbsup