mmm? three legged 100V cap?..

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
hopkinwfg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hopkinwfg »

got no idea of whats that orange in color component in the pic I have attached... please help?
Attachments
20130309_132020-1.jpg
20130309_132020-1.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

The component you asking for is a radio frequency filter. The first model to come to my mind is a Murata DSS306:

This component is intended to block interference that can be riding over DC supply and disturb an electronic equipment -a pedal in this case- but is commonly used in consumer, automotive electronics, and so on.

Electrically consist in a wire connecting the two outside terminals which have a pair of ferrite beads, and a condenser connected from this wire to ground, that is the central pin:

You must connect one outside pin to the DC jack, the central to ground, and the remaining to the supply point on your board. Thats all.

Cheers,
Jose

hopkinwfg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hopkinwfg »

thank you for your well documented info... help alot here :-)

hopkinwfg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hopkinwfg »

I might wanna take this chance to ask if the malfunction of the signal filter would have effect on the operation of the stomp box?... is my ps2 from boss and I lately could not getta effect like pitch shift and delay to function ... could this be the cause?

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

What is the fault in your pedal ? At least you have an unprocessed signal at the output jack when bypassed, or is completely dead ?

This kind of filters can fail if the condenser develops a short circuit to ground and in this case the power supply unit can suffer, smoke can appear inside the pedal, and things like that.

Another type of fault (but unusual one I think), is that the wire connecting the outer pins may open circuit due overcurrent.

Since this filter is rated to work up to 100 volts and can carry 6 amps I'm in doubt that this component gone bad, but tell us about what symptoms you see in your unit to try to help you.

Cheers,
Jose

hopkinwfg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hopkinwfg »

ppluis0 wrote:What is the fault in your pedal ? At least you have an unprocessed signal at the output jack when bypassed, or is completely dead ?

This kind of filters can fail if the condenser develops a short circuit to ground and in this case the power supply unit can suffer, smoke can appear inside the pedal, and things like that.

Another type of fault (but unusual one I think), is that the wire connecting the outer pins may open circuit due overcurrent.

Since this filter is rated to work up to 100 volts and can carry 6 amps I'm in doubt that this component gone bad, but tell us about what symptoms you see in your unit to try to help you.

Cheers,
Jose

thanks alot for your clear explaination... I have gotten to measure the voltage with my DMM with the pedal is turned on..however it discharged and caused a spark which I think I may have cause any malfunction to the signal filter.. I dont know if its true but I again tested on ohms using my DMM with the pedal at off state and from the ground connection of the signal filter it both measured about 1300 ohm for the value stated 103 100V.. is it normal measurement? or could it be a bad component?

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

hopkinwfg wrote:thanks alot for your clear explaination... I have gotten to measure the voltage with my DMM with the pedal is turned on..however it discharged and caused a spark which I think I may have cause any malfunction to the signal filter.. I dont know if its true but I again tested on ohms using my DMM with the pedal at off state and from the ground connection of the signal filter it both measured about 1300 ohm for the value stated 103 100V.. is it normal measurement? or could it be a bad component?
Perhaps the 1300 ohms you read when you measure the pins of this component are the rest of the board elements that connects between Vcc and GND and looks as normal value.

The only way to see if the central condenser of this filter is shorted or leaking is to unsold it and measure alone, but prior to do that:

What is the symptom of your pedal ?
At least turns on the indicator led ?
The bypass function does something ?
Can be seen any component near the DC jack overheated or burned ?

hopkinwfg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hopkinwfg »

Hi thanks alot for keeping up with your help... here is how it went...

i have a PS2 where it went spoiled without the effect and soon as i realised it was the board at one of the soldering part which went bad.. i took it out for a resoldering and i also did a curious on how the circuit runs.. so i turn on the pedal which i thought it be safe to test the signal filter putting on my DMM to measure voltage across the far end terminal.. to my suprised it snapped and discharged with a spark... however the pedal still functions as it is and did a test to the effect when i turned on and i was happy that it went good and well...but soon after an hour or so the effect die out again and i so thought it maybe the solder which went out... but found out to be still intact... so my possibility is that it could be the signal filter which went bad eventually?

the pedal now engages with led litted up with at times no other effect except delay which outputs at very faint volume.. and when its left longer with the power on to the pedal it kind of produced a kinda "white noise" like of sound... as said its the filter which eleminates the noise factor... would i be looking at the right component to change? :?

my signal filter stated 103, 100V what readings would you advise me if i were to unsolder it out for ohm test... as said each side with respect to the center leg (Ground)..? Thanks you ;)

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Perhaps the fault is located in other part of the board.

The filter we are talking about is to avoid radio interference riding over the DC supply and does nothing with the audio process.

You can simply unsold it, jumper the two outside pins with a piece of wire leaving the center pin isolated, and see what your pedal do. Also you test with your finger if any component rise in temperature after certain time of put in operation.

Maybe other FSB members can join and help to repair your unit if you open a thread in the debug section with an aproppriate title, I think.

Cheers,
Jose

hopkinwfg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hopkinwfg »

ppluis0 wrote:Perhaps the fault is located in other part of the board.

The filter we are talking about is to avoid radio interference riding over the DC supply and does nothing with the audio process.

You can simply unsold it, jumper the two outside pins with a piece of wire leaving the center pin isolated, and see what your pedal do. Also you test with your finger if any component rise in temperature after certain time of put in operation.

Maybe other FSB members can join and help to repair your unit if you open a thread in the debug section with an aproppriate title, I think.

Cheers,
Jose
Thanks again for the kind help... I maybe looking at the circuit again...