change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.

change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby leftfingaz » 02 Sep 2013, 14:35

i cant find 1uF, 2.2uF and 0.01uF film. can i change it into ceramic or other caps type?
leftfingaz
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 16:10
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby karul » 02 Sep 2013, 15:46

For 1uF and 2.2 uF, you can use Electrolytic capacitors. But pay attention to the polarity.
You may use non-polar electrolytic, as well.

For 0.01uF = 10nF you may use ceramic.

For this message the author karul has received thanks:
leftfingaz (02 Sep 2013, 16:07)
karul
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 216
Joined: 02 Jan 2011, 21:28
Has thanked: 167 times
Have thanks: 142 times

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby leftfingaz » 02 Sep 2013, 15:53

if there will be a change in the output sound?
leftfingaz
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 16:10
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby karul » 02 Sep 2013, 16:20

leftfingaz wrote:if there will be a change in the output sound?


Different capacitor materials and their Influence on the sound are subject of heated debates over the internet. This forum is not an exception.

Does it matter if you have no choice. Use what you can find now.
If you can find different types, try them and see (hear) for your self.

For this message the author karul has received thanks:
leftfingaz (02 Sep 2013, 16:40)
karul
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 216
Joined: 02 Jan 2011, 21:28
Has thanked: 167 times
Have thanks: 142 times

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Sep 2013, 16:28

mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks:
leftfingaz (02 Sep 2013, 16:39)
User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 08:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 781 times
Have thanks: 808 times

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby leftfingaz » 02 Sep 2013, 16:39

thanks :D.. there will be no difference as long as the value is the same :D. if i use electrolytic how can i know where will be the positive if the original cap is in film
leftfingaz
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 16:10
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby karul » 02 Sep 2013, 17:20

leftfingaz wrote:if i use electrolytic how can i know where will be the positive if the original cap is in film


If they are on power lines, then there is only one way (you should know that).

If we're talking about audio path, then It depends on the circuit.
Sometimes is better (or necessary) to use NP (non-polar) electrolytic. And you'll have no problem with the polarity.

For this message the author karul has received thanks:
leftfingaz (02 Sep 2013, 18:47)
karul
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 216
Joined: 02 Jan 2011, 21:28
Has thanked: 167 times
Have thanks: 142 times

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Sep 2013, 17:52

For polarised electrolytic in the signal path, the negative GENERALLY should face the guitar at the input, face the amplifier at the output, and face away from the collector or emitter when connected to a transistor. Sometimes it's hard to guess, and you need to put it in the circuit then measure with a DMM. How about you post the schematic, point out which caps you want to replace with polarised and we'll have an educated guess?
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks:
leftfingaz (02 Sep 2013, 18:47)
User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 08:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 781 times
Have thanks: 808 times

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby leftfingaz » 02 Sep 2013, 18:22

karul wrote:
leftfingaz wrote:if i use electrolytic how can i know where will be the positive if the original cap is in film


If they are on power lines, then there is only one way (you should know that).

If we're talking about audio path, then It depends on the circuit.
Sometimes is better (or necessary) to use NP (non-polar) electrolytic. And you'll have no problem with the polarity.


i dont know how to figure out power line and audio path in schematic. im a total noob, but i want to learn :D :(

Nocentelli wrote:For polarised electrolytic in the signal path, the negative GENERALLY should face the guitar at the input, face the amplifier at the output, and face away from the collector or emitter when connected to a transistor. Sometimes it's hard to guess, and you need to put it in the circuit then measure with a DMM. How about you post the schematic, point out which caps you want to replace with polarised and we'll have an educated guess?


here it is
Image

i want to change C6, C9, C11, C16, C19, C24, C30, and C31. How to test the polarity in the circuit using DDM?
leftfingaz
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 16:10
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby leftfingaz » 03 Sep 2013, 04:07

i figure it out, how to crawl the polarity in the circuit
leftfingaz
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 16:10
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby galmar » 04 Sep 2013, 22:17

A polarised capacitor must be inserted in the following way: the + side must have a greater DC potential than the - side during idle.

This can be realised with a simple look at the schematic in general, but if it is not easy to deduce it that way, then you have to measure the DC potentials (with respect to the pedal's common point) across the two points that the capacitor will be inserted, to apply the rule I gave above. Do this using a DMM. Of course, you can't insert the capacitor beforehand and check this afterwards, since polarised capacitors will not tolerate inverse voltage, and you will end up with a blown cap if you are not lucky.

Since a capacitor blocks DC voltages, you can make these measurements with no capacitor inserted. I mean that a capacitor is not used to bias something, instead to ensure that the bias is totally affected by other circuit parameters. Unless of course a circuit is biased through the leakage current of a capacitor, which is totally wrong and I don't think I have seen it anywhere!

I hope my comment may help you a bit! :)

For this message the author galmar has received thanks:
leftfingaz (05 Sep 2013, 03:46)
galmar
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 17:27
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 10 times

Re: change film into ceramic or other caps. if it possible?

Postby leftfingaz » 05 Sep 2013, 03:45

thank for a another answer :D
leftfingaz
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 16:10
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 0 time


Return to Capacitors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest