help with my component

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.

help with my component

Postby gearstack » 01 Feb 2015, 17:52

Im actually new in building guitar effects. And some circuits required the 1uf film capacitor and I only have the non polar 1uf in hand. Can I use the non polar as a replacement with the required film caps? Will it do the same job as the film?

Thanks,
Chris
gearstack

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: help with my component

Postby D-Day » 01 Feb 2015, 18:03

Yes.
D-Day
Mojo Book Buster

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby Nocentelli » 01 Feb 2015, 21:46

Post a schematic or layout of what you're working on in case the orientation of a polar replacement cap is important.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 795 times

Postby induction » 02 Feb 2015, 16:19

Nocentelli wrote:Post a schematic or layout of what you're working on in case the orientation of a polar replacement cap is important.

He specified that his replacement cap was non-polar.
induction
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Feb 2015, 16:44

doh
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby gearstack » 02 Feb 2015, 18:42

I have already replaced the film with a non polar into my circuit board. Well, its working but I didnt know if it sound the same with the film in place. Im building the guvnor with mods. And one mod here is to replace one component with a 1uf metal film. But no luck rather than placing a non polar instead. Will it have different output sound by replacing it with non polar or just the same?

Another question, Im using 1% tolerance resistor (blue ones) can I mixed it up with brown resistor under one circuit?

Thanks,
Chris
gearstack

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Feb 2015, 19:30

gearstack wrote:Will it have different output sound by replacing it with non polar or just the same?

There's a 35-page thread here "discussing" whether different cap types of the same capacitance value sound the same: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8625

I'm fairly sure i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a film or non-polar electrolytic 1uF cap in a blind test.

Yes, you can mix resistor tolerances and nothing will go wrong.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Return to Capacitors