electrolytic instead of film?

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
TheAttackman
Information

Post by TheAttackman »

so im building a wooly mammoth clone and i bought two 1uF and two 20uF electolictic caps instead of two 10N and 20uF film ... will these still work... if so.. how should i orient them..
if not.. i have two .1uF trop fish caps... would subbing these in place of the 10n's (which arnt the same as .1uFs) work... im pretty sure that the 10N caps are input/output... so woulndt .1uF give me more fuzz (the more the merrier :applause: )????
Thanks

rrhoads33
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rrhoads33 »

Hi,

I just wanted to add, that electrolytic caps have bad effects on the tone if you place them in signal chains of audio circuits, because they treat both half waves differently, because they have a certain polarization. That causes a sort of an asymmetrical distortion, which doesn't sounds good in most cases.

Please don't confuse this with asymmetrical distortions produced by clipping diodes.

But you want to make a fuzz, which should sound a bit strange, so you'll maybe like here the "bad" tones from an electrolytic or a tantalum cap (which is also known for sounding bad.)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those, who don't.