The AC175, what is it good for?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

As the title sez, what are these good for? I happen to have a few with the hole in the top of the "radiator". They're NPN and that's about all I know. They give pretty weird readings on my DMM. Thanks in advance, NG

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

Heh- they're good for a neg. ground germanium fuzz. As long as the gains are good, and they're not too leaky...

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I had a batch, with good gains, great fuzz and sustain, but they were incredibly noisy in my tonebender mark II.
Don't let anything keep you from trying though.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Thanks guys. Yeah the Hfe [if I'm reading them right] is way up there. I have to go buy a breadboard device now...

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

Leakage might be throwing the measurements off... but a neg ground fuzz is a beautiful thing when it works out. Sure as hell worth a try!