TO-220 transistor Fuzz

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

anyone tried the low gain TO-220 type trannys such as the Tip31 in a fuzz circuit? do you see any potential problems or drawbacks other than size?

Thanks

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

HydrozeenElectronics wrote:anyone tried the low gain TO-220 type trannys such as the Tip31 in a fuzz circuit? do you see any potential problems or drawbacks other than size?

Thanks

Probably not,but then again the reliability should be fine,it would probably take alot to blow up a TO-220 style transistor since they are rated for at least an amp,they may work well in a Fuzz Face type circuit.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

Thanks, I got a distortion I'm working on that calls for some low gain silicone transistors. I think these might do the trick. :D

DrNomis wrote:
HydrozeenElectronics wrote:anyone tried the low gain TO-220 type trannys such as the Tip31 in a fuzz circuit? do you see any potential problems or drawbacks other than size?

Thanks

Probably not,but then again the reliability should be fine,it would probably take alot to blow up a TO-220 style transistor since they are rated for at least an amp,they may work well in a Fuzz Face type circuit.... :hmmm:

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

I've been working with the Tip31 t220 power transistors on the breadboard now for a couple of days. They are working great. They bias up just about the same as my 2n3904's and 2n5088's They also sound really nice and seem to have more low end response. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers :applause:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I'll have to give this a go myself.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

i've been using bd139 and bf458 in fuzz faces with excelent results, and the gain is the required one.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

HydrozeenElectronics wrote:Thanks, I got a distortion I'm working on that calls for some low gain silicone transistors. I think these might do the trick. :D

DrNomis wrote:

Thanks

I've read in these forums that TO-220 transistors tend to have more bass,probably a good thing too,since fuzz pedals tend to sound quite bright... :)

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

That's the first thing I noticed was more bass. Very cool :D
DrNomis wrote:
HydrozeenElectronics wrote:Thanks, I got a distortion I'm working on that calls for some low gain silicone transistors. I think these might do the trick. :D

DrNomis wrote:

Thanks

I've read in these forums that TO-220 transistors tend to have more bass,probably a good thing too,since fuzz pedals tend to sound quite bright... :)