Will my standard power supply fry my PNP circuits?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
wolfmason
Information

Post by wolfmason »

I'm a bit of a noob, and I just finished building my first two boxes--An original OC44 rangemaster clone, and a tricked out AC128 fuzz face. Since both use PNP transistors, they're wired for "positive ground".

Both work great on battery power, but I read that PNP boxes wouldn't work with standard polarity power supplies.

If i attach these boxes to a standard voodoo power supply, am I going to fry them? I have the power jack wired so that the positive terminal runs to ground, negative to the circuit, just as I have with my battery terminals.

I can't see how the use of a power supply would be any different than my battery, since both are wired with positive running to ground, but I'm paranoid. NOS parts ain't cheap, afterall...

DaveKerr
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg M-15
Dynacord Preference 500
Completed builds: Fuzz Face (2)
Tonebender MKII (3)
ROG Tri-Vibe
PAiA Ring Mod kit
Ring Mod based on Tim E schematic (2)
Rangemaster
CNO
ROG Splitter-Blender
Clari (Not) cubed deluxe

Post by DaveKerr »

Talked about here. Dirk's suggestion is the way to go imho, else just stay with battery power.
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral