transistor leg colour conventions?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
mutetourettes
Information

Post by mutetourettes »

hello - just wondering if there exist any conventions of what colour wire you'd connect to what leg of the various types of transistor? Anyone have a model they follow or is this just stupid?
Mark

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

I dunno if there is a conventional color order for the base collector and emitter, but the way sinner does his looks nice. like you see in vintage UK pedals sometimes.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12222&p=134989&hil ... ro#p134989
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

mutetourettes
Information

Post by mutetourettes »

thanks for the link - so that looks like for Sinner:
germanium PNP:
emitter: yellow
base: green
collector: blue

then i've seen some of fuzfaceless ones with
emitter: yellow
base: blue
collector: red

but he uses other colour schemes too - so perhapsthe conclusion is: "No there isn't an overall convention, just maybe keep it consistent within any given circuit...."