si fuzz, hook emitter to power?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
Shiny_Beast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Shiny_Beast »

I got around to adding the vol control, so it's civilized right now. Still more white noise than I want, but I'm starting to feel like I'm not "missing something". I'm gonna put a <100r foot on Q2 emitter under the c/r pair, that should cool it off.

Man, for such an easy circuit you can sure invest a lot of time on a fuzzface. I though the si version was going to be a breeze :0

If I were a builder I'd definately audition a pile of 108s just to see what the variance is so I knew I was putting in ones that were as good as it gets. I suppose since you can get these cheap I could probably even do that for myself.

thanks for all the help

Shiny_Beast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Shiny_Beast »

well I added a vol and fuzz pot, makes it more usable, just being able to tweak it. Also cleaned something up, maybe just having less resistor leads sticking out everywhere. It does seem to respond to lead dress somewhat, I don't think it's just my imagination.

It's been really frsutrating, I expected a slam dunk and it's almost been more trouble than getting my first ge off the ground. Part of the issue is I hard wire the ge for full fuzz and slight boost with just a bias knob to go in front of my plexi. This isn't really going to be the case with the si's extra gain. I really want some dials. It's more of a semi clean amp pedal, or twist it down lower to drive the amp etc...

I've made my peace with it though, I'm gonna wire it up with vol, fuzz, input trim (labelled simply "trim" lol) and put a switch on the top for a 140pf cap collector to collector or something like that called "damp". Should get the job done.

thanks for the replies.