Possible stupid easy solution for PNP transistors?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
electrical
Information

Post by electrical »

So I want to build a Tone Bender clone for my pedal board. But I also want to use my 1spot with it. I've been reading around, and digging around trying to figure out an easy (and cheap!) way to go about this. And then it hit me like a brick wall. I wanted to ask here to see if I'm just dreaming, or if this really is as easy as it seems: could I just stick the +9V voltage into the inverting input of an op amp, ground the non-inverting input, and would that flip the voltage for me to run the rest of the circuit from?

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

No!? Electronic considerations aside an op-amp can NEVER go beyond its power rails in either direction, and most won't even go that far.

Lucky you! There is a single IC that will provide your inverted voltage. MAX1044.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:No!? Electronic considerations aside an op-amp can NEVER go beyond its power rails in either direction, and most won't even go that far.

Lucky you! There is a single IC that will provide your inverted voltage. MAX1044.

Usually within about 2 volts of the supply rails, and they will start to clip sharply..... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

asatbluesboy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by asatbluesboy »

The NPN or an even simplest solution: batteries. I know they're not environmentally friendly and all, but they sound better to some ears and will last a really long time. Just add a toggle to disconnect it if you don't want to be plugging the input cable in and out all the time.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.