Hoof Fuzz Q2/Q3 collector voltage reading?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Would anyone who owns a Hoof Fuzz be so kind as to take two quick measurements? I just want to know how Q2 and Q3 are biased. I would love to know the voltage reading on the collector leg of Q2 and Q3.

Please and thank you.
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

It's a muff style circuit, so you want to aim around half the supply voltage..Maybe a bit less.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Okay, hmmm, maybe my Germanium transistors are too low gain? 148 and 178 is what I'm working with. I made the 390 ohm biasing resistors into 500 ohm trimpots but I'm only able to get 3.5v or so on the collector of each. That's the max I can achieve but it sounds pretty good...
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

adjust the collector resistors, not the emitters. :)

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Ahhh yes - good call. That would have made way more sense since they're 12K and the emitter resistors are just 390 ohms... DUH! haha I'm a jackass sometimes. Thanks!
― Hunter S. Thompson

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Boom. Perfect! Thanks again!!!
― Hunter S. Thompson

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

So in what way did you notice your pedal change?

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

When I adjusted the bias up from 3.5v to 4.5v on Q2 and Q3?
It seemed to sound better. It seemed to sound more full/hot/fuzzy. It was still doing its thang at 3.5v and sounded like a muff that was running too low on battery maybe? But didn't sound awful. Just wasn't "wow-ing" me. Something seemed dull/off.

I still haven't fixed the tone knob issue though. But I haven't tried to either so that may be why. Heh. I had my folks in town this weekend and we went out of state to visit family. I'll get on top of it this weekend and see if it ain't just a cold joint somewhere.
― Hunter S. Thompson

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Just looked at the Hoof thread, yeah, definitely just some sort of borked connection. Let us know if/when you fix it!