Buffer into switchable booster?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
meffcio
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by meffcio »

Hey fellas!
Let's say we have a simple buffer like here:
schemo.png
schemo.png (1.84 KiB) Viewed 872 times
It's probably totally nooby question, but would it be hard to switch it into a booster? I mean - changing or adding some components with a flip of a switch, so we have some additional gain at the output? Or it would just be better to stick a LPB in there and switch between two pot values?

Forgot to mention - it's going to be a part of a wah circuit. I've heard that boosters cause distortion problems in wahs. :scratch:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I don't know how good a LPB-1 would be as a buffer - it tends to rob a little treble, but that's not always a problem for a booster. I think you're on the right lines with a JFET-based circuit: I made a buffer/booster using the Alembic Stratoblaster circuit, but used two separate boards because they're the size of a postage stamp so space wasn't an issue. You could probably adapt the circuit to be switchable between boost and buffer -
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... er#p184647
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...