jimmy page tone bender doubts

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

hi, im almost sure that jummy used a sola sound tone bender MKII professional, but i have seen many different settings on this pedal, im building this pedal using the tonepad layout, and a set of US germanium transistor from small bear, gains are Q1 63, Q2 93, and Q3 124, i think these are grat for the pedal, got also the resistor set with a few changes on the original layout, now, here comes the deal, this its my first time with germanium transistors, so im not so sure, about specail care of them, i have seen many build that has cover the gold legs with some plastic take out from wire,

also what iits the jimmy page voltages for Q3?? its -7.5V...

tonyharker
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tonyharker »

Sleeving the leads is a good idea. When soldering hold the leads with a pair of needle nose pliers to conduct the heat away from the transistor body.
Germanium transistors are heat sensitive and holding the iron onto a lead too long can destroy the transistor.

tonyharker
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tonyharker »

Better still use a socket :)

copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

will it be a bad idea to cut off the legs of the trannies??i got sockets on the pcb but trannies leg are too long and there its a bit problem with on board pots..

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

copachino wrote:will it be a bad idea to cut off the legs of the trannies??i got sockets on the pcb but trannies leg are too long and there its a bit problem with on board pots..

As long as you don't cut the legs off too short you should be fine, I tend to leave the legs a bit longer than usual when soldering in Germanium Transistors, when I put insulation from wire on the legs I use Green for Emitter, Red for Base, and Blue for Collector, makes it easy to remember which leg is which, putting insulation on each of the legs is a good thing to do since it stops the legs from shorting-out if you leave them long...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Fender3D
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Fender3D »

DrNomis wrote: As long as you don't cut the legs off too short you should be fine,
lol GREAT !!! :mrgreen:

copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

DrNomis wrote:
copachino wrote:will it be a bad idea to cut off the legs of the trannies??i got sockets on the pcb but trannies leg are too long and there its a bit problem with on board pots..

As long as you don't cut the legs off too short you should be fine, I tend to leave the legs a bit longer than usual when soldering in Germanium Transistors, when I put insulation from wire on the legs I use Green for Emitter, Red for Base, and Blue for Collector, makes it easy to remember which leg is which, putting insulation on each of the legs is a good thing to do since it stops the legs from shorting-out if you leave them long...... :thumbsup

in fact im not so sure about soldering this transistor, but, also i dont like the sound, it sonud more like a high gain distortion and in the end you feel the fuzz, but i want it more agressive more fuzz, and i realize that the voltage of Q3 its -4.5v, with a 6.8k resistor, should i use a lowe value or increase it??, i want to hit the page sound, and im really far from it,..

also i get radios filtering in my sound, would that be normal??? or its cos im not insulate the golden legs of trannies??