How sound a burned transistor?

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
dantahoua
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bogner Shiva
Completed builds: GGG Fuzz and Ts808. A lot of guitar wiring mod.

Post by dantahoua »

Hello!
I just made a newbies project, a Green Ringer. After plugging it, I saw that there was a little shortcut when I plug the jack. So I removed the problem. But now when I start the effect, the sound is distorded (and I can ear very far the effect). The more stronger I play the guitar the more it distord. Could it be one of the transistor burned? :hmmm: I checked everything, connexion, soldering... But I don't know how to check the transistor (2N5088 x2 and one 2N3906). I read too that sometimes distortion can occur with non biased transistor... This is the tonepad green ringer.
Thanks for helping.

Fuzzed
Information

Post by Fuzzed »

Quick tip:

You could socket the transistors, this way they won't burn, fry, whatsoever.

Maybe you have one with the wrong pinout, even I in the beginning didn't fry one. :mrgreen:
Yet, you can also have a offboard wiring problem.
So pics are welcome :)

dantahoua
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bogner Shiva
Completed builds: GGG Fuzz and Ts808. A lot of guitar wiring mod.

Post by dantahoua »

Yes thanks, I'll use socket now, easier for testing and everything else! I really dumb on this one, in fact it seems that this is the sound of the green ringer! :oops: I had too much expectation (I expected the same sound as a whammy wh1 original set on octave up... :slap: ). Sorry for this stupid post... Hope my next post will be more interesting! Thanks for the socket advice! Learning, learning...