How to tell the legs of GE Tranistor

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 63' Fender Bandmaster
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

Hi there,

I've got some GE transistors, they've got one short leg and two long legs. From some poking around online, I think the short leg is the base. This leaves the other two long legs: is the leg with the little tab adjacent to it the collector or emitter? I found a way to test using a mutlimeter for this but I was wondering if there is a standard, like, short leg=base, tab=emitter or tab=collector etc?

Thanks,

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

nihoneiga wrote:Hi there,

I've got some GE transistors, they've got one short leg and two long legs. From some poking around online, I think the short leg is the base. This leaves the other two long legs: is the leg with the little tab adjacent to it the collector or emitter? I found a way to test using a mutlimeter for this but I was wondering if there is a standard, like, short leg=base, tab=emitter or tab=collector etc?

Thanks,

How does that multimeter test work? because I have some old Russian transistors that are supposed to have a dot on them but it's just paint and on some of them it's wore off and there is no tab so it's pretty tough to tell.

thanks

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

You could use the diode function on your multimeter to determine, at least, which pin is the base. For and NPN is the one to which you hold the positive lead and the other two pins measure a diode drop. For PNP is the same but with the negative lead instead.

What's the way you found Nihoneiga?

Don't know how to differentiate between collector and emitter (100% reliable).
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

the tab is usually the emitter.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

Thanks for all your replies. I used the guide for testing polarity at this site:
http://users.otenet.gr/~ATHSAM/theory/T ... ty_eng.htm

Thanks for the tips!

k

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nihoneiga »

I've got the tungsten Trannies same as the pictures from this BYOC forum post.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... &sk=t&sd=a

If you look at the shot of the bottom-side of the transistor you see the three legs with the tab near the lower leg and a faint red stripe near the right right (short) leg. As RnFR mentioned the Tab is usually the emitter, and if the short/red-stripe leg is the base, that leave the unmarked leg to be the collector. Tell me if my logic is sound on this?

Thanks