diy capacitors

Frequently asked question on transistors: types, substitutions, how to test, use and misuse them.
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

This guy in Israel built his own 60' Jazz Bass, right down to the PIO cap, check it out: TDPRI.com thread

Anyways, it looked so easy that I didn't think it would work, so I tried myself :-)
I glued aluminiumfoil strips onto paper strips, rolled them, and soaked them in mineral oil (the stuff they use to lubricate sewing machines).
First try:
Not very successful, because the alu foil shorts, I did get enough capacitance on the meter to make me want to try again.
Try and try again:
620nF! Not bad, it does leak a bit (DC resistance 1,5M) so I wouldn't use it in a tube amp. Also, sealing is important, I left it hooked up to the meter unsealed and checked every couple of days, as the oil leaked away, so did the capacitance.
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

wow Jarno, that is quite a thread! thanks for the link and the pics of your experience giving it a try. do you think you'll ever try actually potting one fully and finishing it off? and do you know how to adjust the amount of capacitance?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

You mean the build thread of that Jazz Bass? Yes, that is one dedicated guy right there!

I am not sure I will be potting diy caps anytime soon, although I am curious to see if they sound different/ better. You can adjust the capacitance by either the distance between the conductors, the surface area and the dieelectricum (in my case paper). I have found formulas to calculate the capacitance of flat plate capacitors, but my second test ended up much higher, so there is probably a different set of formulas involved.
"It crackles....., but that's ok"