PCB Transfer Help

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

MullisMan wrote:Cool. I might eventually try that PNP, but the magazine paper is working like a charm right now. I'm just kinda hesitant about drilling now. Any tips or secrets that anybody has?
enclosures or pcb?
with PCB I learned that the 0.8mm drill bits are very fragile, so I snap then in half before use.. less purchase angle on them when drilling, and I push them down into the chuck with only the minimum protrusion for the same reason... snapped a lot initially.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

MullisMan wrote:Cool. I might eventually try that PNP, but the magazine paper is working like a charm right now. I'm just kinda hesitant about drilling now. Any tips or secrets that anybody has?

The best tool for the job is a high-speed drill press,an alternative would be something like an Arlec Supertool,I used to have one of those some years ago,and have been wanting to buy myself another one for ages... :)

The Arlec Supertool is a small,hand held device,similar to a Dremel,that has a small drill chuck that can hold a variety of bits,from erasers,to engraving bits,to fine drill bits suitable for drilling holes in PCBs,I'm going to wait till next fortnight to see if my local Bunnings store stocks them,since I need one.... :)

If your current method is working fine for you,that's cool,hope your pedal builds work out great,if not,feel free to ask me for some technical help,I will be only too happy to help you out.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Well, I don't know what qualifies a drill press as being high speed, but this is the one I have:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_197820-46922-33 ... ll%2Bpress

Will that do the job?

I just got some new copper clad in the mail and I think I have some drill bits waiting at the house as well. I've been using Tin Snips to cut the board, but I've noticed that it causes the copper clad board to splinter and split unevenly, any way to prevent this? The boards I was using were really old so maybe that had something to do with it.
I want to build it all.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I use a hacksaw blade to cut the boards... then file them smooth after.
that drill press looks the biz.. I use a similar one.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

MullisMan wrote:Well, I don't know what qualifies a drill press as being high speed, but this is the one I have:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_197820-46922-33 ... ll%2Bpress

Will that do the job?

I just got some new copper clad in the mail and I think I have some drill bits waiting at the house as well. I've been using Tin Snips to cut the board, but I've noticed that it causes the copper clad board to splinter and split unevenly, any way to prevent this? The boards I was using were really old so maybe that had something to do with it.

Provided that it has some fast speed settings for the chuck,it should do the job fine,you need fairly high revs for fine drill bits,otherwise the fine drill bits won't drill holes efficiently,or there'll be a risk of bit breakage... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Just started drilling, no problems yet. I have to wait on my other drill bits for bigger holes for the 1N4001 diodes. This is the fun stuff!
I want to build it all.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

MullisMan wrote:Just started drilling, no problems yet. I have to wait on my other drill bits for bigger holes for the 1N4001 diodes. This is the fun stuff!

I agree,what's even more fun is plugging in your fave guitar and playing through it too... :)

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

what kind of paper is this magazine paper? Just high gloss?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Beedoola wrote:what kind of paper is this magazine paper? Just high gloss?
They are literally referring to pages torn from a magazine. so yes, high gloss, but just so you know that's what they mean.

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Okay, I really suck at making PCB's. I use the iron on method with glossy laser paper. It takes many tries before I get a transfer that is not heavily smeared or poorly transfered. Finally, I will end up with a good one. I'd love to know how to get this to be more consistent.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MullisMan »

kinski wrote:Okay, I really suck at making PCB's. I use the iron on method with glossy laser paper. It takes many tries before I get a transfer that is not heavily smeared or poorly transfered. Finally, I will end up with a good one. I'd love to know how to get this to be more consistent.

Any help or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
The easiest and cheapest method I've found is the magazine paper method. Doesn't matter if there's not white space, the ink from the magazine doesn't come off when you iron on your transfer. Just make sure your iron is at its hottest setting, and just go side to side, up and down with it for maybe 2 - 3 minutes. That should guarantee that you get a good transfer.

After I iron I just toss it in some water for maybe a minute, and then the paper peels off like a charm. Just make sure you're using enough heat, if you do, then you shouldn't have any problems peeling/wiping off the paper, or any of your transfer lifting/scratching off either.

Also, make sure the copper piece you're using to transfer to is about the same size as your transfer, otherwise the heat gets transferred to the extra copper space and sometimes I've found that my transfer doesn't adhere quite as good. Make sure it's clean too! Steel wool is your best friend.

Now, go make some PCB's :horsey:
I want to build it all.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

simplest I've tried is the press'n'peel blue, but best price point/simplicity I've tried is the transparency paper method.. works like press'n'peel (although not quite as dark).. I can recommend the transparency style, but have made all of them work except the glossy magazine paper... no matter what, the paper sticks all over the board for me, so I have to leave it soaking, then freeze it, then disintegrate it away slowly.. it takes aaaggeess..

jstbrowsin
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by jstbrowsin »

The method I use
1: Rest the iron on the copper for a 10-20 secs before placing (very carefully because it is really hot) the magazine paper on the board. The toner sticks like glue to the board so no chance of it moving while you iron.
2: Iron the snot out of it until you see (slightly) the transfer coming through from the other side in all areas.
3: Put it into the freezer (I place mine on top of the ice tray) for about 5 to 10 mins then drop into water with a drop of dish-washing liquid.

Works every time, my fellow kiwi Rocklander can attest to that eh Ivan. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

jstbrowsin wrote:Works every time, my fellow kiwi Rocklander can attest to that eh Ivan. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
yeah bro.. it's been great.. you gotta grab a transparency sheet off me next time you're here .. it's even easier.. :idea:

jstbrowsin
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by jstbrowsin »

cool thanks bro :hug: Sounds intriguing. We will be gigging in Vegas next weekend I think. . . get ready to get messy :lol:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

sweet - I'm round .. not only am I fat, but I'll be here too :oops:

jstbrowsin
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by jstbrowsin »

ROTFLMAO :popcorn:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

jstbrowsin wrote:ROTFLMAO :popcorn:

How did the gig/s go?....spewing that I missed it all.... :D

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Thanks everyone. I'll try out some other methods soon! :horsey: