Dirty blank pcb board

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.

Dirty blank pcb board

Postby kin0 » 27 Nov 2010, 10:36

Hay,
My dad bought me a blank pcb board and I wanted to make a pcb (first time) the problem is that it is real dirty. It also have some scratches on it. Here is some pics. If any one can give me an idea how to clean it. I tried with spirit, water and soap but nothing worked.
Oh and should I clean both sides or only the one which I transfer to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kin0

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Dirty blank pcb board  Topic is solved

Postby madbean » 27 Nov 2010, 12:33

It's easy: use some 00 steel wool and polish it down (you can also use scotchbrite or fine sandpaper). First polish one direction, then the other. Repeat until it starts to shine up. Then clean thoroughly with Acetone (very important).
madbean

Re: Dirty blank pcb board

Postby RnFR » 27 Nov 2010, 12:55

I also caught a trick from an old ham dog that I have yet to try- lime away. I guess you spray it on and let it soak. Apparently, the corrossion comes right off.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 170 times

Postby lolbou » 27 Nov 2010, 14:07

I would have tried some chorhydric acid (lightly diluted) to get rid of oxidized copper. Also check these scratches to be sure that the continuity is good...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.
lolbou
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 233 times

Postby Duckman » 27 Nov 2010, 19:22

:!: Your copper foil is very thiny, so be careful when you use abrasive methods :!:
Duckman
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 122 times

Postby rocklander » 27 Nov 2010, 21:04

I live in rotorua where sulphur often covers copper like this.. I just use isopropyl alcohol and a green scotch brite style scourer pad...
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 287 times

Postby kin0 » 29 Nov 2010, 16:21

Okay, I cleaned it and it's pretty clean except a few stains (I think they are from water) that won't get off even then I used spirit. Any ideas?
kin0

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby RnFR » 29 Nov 2010, 16:35

Time for the green scouring pad, then lots of rubbing alcohol.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 170 times

Postby DrNomis » 29 Nov 2010, 16:50

I just use a scouring pad as used to wash dishes,with some soapy water,rub the copper side of the PCB material with the scouring pad dipped in soapy water,keep going till the board is shiney,then rinse the board under a tap,then dry with paper toweling,I use toilet paper,it works a treat,once your circuit board is dry,put your artwork on the copper side,holding it in place with masking tape,and then use your usual method to transfer the artwork to the copper.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.
DrNomis
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 384 times

Return to Veroboard, Perfboard, PCB & Point-to-Point