My new prototyping board

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Since I have some designs I'm trying to work out, I decided I needed an easy way to prototype them quickly. I plan this out very much, and mostly went by what I could do cheaply.

The only things I didn't have was the cutting board and aluminum sheet. I spent two friggin' hours going around to various thrift stores looking for a dirt cheap cutting board, only to find one at Target for less than $3 :evil:

The bracket you see is where my coffee can mounted 386 amp with $2 speaker is going to live. Unfortunately, we are having a disagreement about how to properly carry signal from a guitar to a speaker right now, so it is yet incomplete.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

That's a sweet setup.
I've been meaning to do something similar forever.
:D

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

Nice ...pretty similar to mine just bigger!

You might need a DPDT or 3PDT toggle for bypass tho :wink:
"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it saved the mice, who ate the cheese."

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

That's great bean. I really need to build myself one of those! It makes work so much easier.

I am Klon.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Lookin' good! I need to do this.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Stuggi
Information

Post by Stuggi »

That's a great setup, but I would have hardwired all the pots so I wouldn't have to fiddle with solder every time I want to proto something.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

Stuggi wrote:That's a great setup, but I would have hardwired all the pots so I wouldn't have to fiddle with solder every time I want to proto something.
Couldn't you just solder some solid core wire to small alligator clips? Clip the alligators to the lugs of the pots and pop the solid core wherever you need to on the breadboard. Then you could configure them anyway you want anytime.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

MadBean, This is so concise and yet simple! It's funny how many of you long time FX builders need one of these too. Clearly this is an area of IP where no one should tread. :lol: Yo Bside, I would have to say I like your idea too. Madbean, do you have a general mix of pots both Log & Lin? Is it wise to plumb a wall wart into a fixture like this or just keep it on the B+ tip? Why a plastic cunting board, because it's a clean/white surface or does it eliminate static electricity issues?
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

[quote="noelgrassy]Madbean, do you have a general mix of pots both Log & Lin? Is it wise to plumb a wall wart into a fixture like this or just keep it on the B+ tip? Why a plastic c**t board, because it's a clean/white surface or does it eliminate static electricity issues?[/quote]

I keep as many pots on hand as I can. I have them wired so I can just plug in whatever I want to try. I pretty much just use battery power for it....but I can hook it up to a PP+ if I need to.

I used the cutting board because it was the right size and it cost $2 :D

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Cool! I guess that I over-analyze a bit too much [where it's unecessary]. I'm going to find a deal on some of those breadboards and jumper wires starting with my local Fry's then Ebay.
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office