PCB making with sticker backing paper

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
i2k
Information

Post by i2k »

Hi all,

I don't know if somebody already post this or not, a friend introduced me to a new toner transfer technique using used sticker backing paper (don't know how to call this on proper english). It's the paper used to cover the adhesive part of the sticker, with glossy part on one side. The color is usually yellow or white. The technique itself is identical to all toner transfer technique by printing the layout to the glossy part and then iron the paper to the board. It will take around 3 minutes to iron.

The beauty of this technique is that the paper will release itself from the board after few minutes, no need to put it on hot water, scrub, etc. Just wait until the board is cold. The result is very clean and sharp. For me this is by far the best & cheapest PCB making method, the paper itself is almost free as my 5 yrs old daughter love stickers so much and I also collect used paper used for labelling in my office, so I have plenty of used backing paper in stock.... :)

I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Just give it a try, I think you will sold to it....PNP blue? who cares... :D

ciao.
Last edited by i2k on 23 Jan 2008, 08:13, edited 2 times in total.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Thanks - I will give it a try one day - many thanks for sharing this idea here :D
cheers
bajaman

TubeDude22
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TubeDude22 »

That sounds cool. I'll have to give it a shot.

I've been using the permanent marker (Sharpie) pens to draw the traces on my homebrew PCBs. A little acetone or fine steel wool cleans it off nicely.

TD

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

This one's been around for a while. It works OK, but you have to be really careful with the paper after it comes out of the printer/copier. The toner comes off so easily that if you bend the backing paper much, the toner just falls off and leaves a void in the transfer.

But if you're careful, it works OK.

Stuggi
Information

Post by Stuggi »

I'll have to try this next time I make a PCB :D

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Is it safe for the printer? The backing paper feels kinda waxy, and I'm afraid it would get stuck in the printer.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

i2k
Information

Post by i2k »

soulsonic wrote:Is it safe for the printer? The backing paper feels kinda waxy, and I'm afraid it would get stuck in the printer.
So far, my success rate is 100 %. I use my office's HP LaserJet without any problem at all, dont remember the type.

A+

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

soulsonic wrote:Is it safe for the printer? The backing paper feels kinda waxy, and I'm afraid it would get stuck in the printer.
Of course it's safe - if you use someone else's printer. :D

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I have been using this technique for a while now. I use the backing on the mailing labels I use. It works really well. I bought a used laser printer locally for $40. Never had a problem with it. I have found that if you let it cool the paper does just pop off but sometimes it pulls off some toner too. I have found that if I just drop it in water for 10-15 minutes the label backing disintegrates (at least the kind I use. UPS labels.) and leaves a very clean trace mask.

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

I will try sticker backing paper....no rubbing is a big attractive part ...

I'm using old megazines / TV guide...those semi glossy type...it work perfect for me provided it was soaked long enought in water after ironing.
But it must be photocopier toner. It never work with my laser printer...HP4700n...at least.

Try and have fun....