Just made my first pcb!

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

Seems to be all right so far. Just got to drill.

I come across a few dollars and have been wanting to get a set up going to allow me to make pcbs.
I got:

Brother laser printer - $38
150 sheets photo paper - $11
Ferric Chloride 500ml - $9
150mmx150mm board - $9
Ltr of Acetone - $9
1.0 & 1.5 hss drill bit (know they'll break) - $6
Dremel 4000 - $200
Pack of 10 sponges with green jex on back - perfect - $3

I am fully stoked!
Need some stuff to spray on it after I solder it right?
Attachments
SnapShot_001.jpg
SnapShot_001.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 6774 times

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

wolfy wrote:Seems to be all right so far. Just got to drill.

I come across a few dollars and have been wanting to get a set up going to allow me to make pcbs.
I got:

150mmx150mm board - $9
Ltr of Acetone - $9
Dremel 4000 - $200

I am fully stoked!

...so it's close to $300?

I love vero even more right now :)

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Congrats!!!! I would much rather etch a board than use VERO as my vero builds always seem to have trouble. The cost for me was much less as all I had to buy was the etchant, blank copper clad and some cheap plastic containers to etch in. I already have a access to a laser printer at work and I already have the rotary tool. I never spray anything on the boards when I am done, and never pre-tin them and mine work just fine.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

sinner wrote:

Yeah that's what it's looking like. I want to get the dremel drill press as well - that's $100.
I've never done vero before but enjoyed my success with perfboard. I just wanted the satisfaction and neatness of a pcb - I wanted an exciting challenge and I loved the experience.
bato001 wrote: Congrats!!!! I would much rather etch a board than use VERO as my vero builds always seem to have trouble. The cost for me was much less as all I had to buy was the etchant, blank copper clad and some cheap plastic containers to etch in. I already have a access to a laser printer at work and I already have the rotary tool. I never spray anything on the boards when I am done, and never pre-tin them and mine work just fine.
Thanks man. Nice to hear I can get away with what you are. Gonna get myself some containers too. I ctually made a multivibrating led circuit about 10 years ago at high school. The only difference was that I drew the circuit on the board with a texta. Apart from working through projects from a book "short circuits -volume 1" on a springboard I have only made one other perfboard.

Looking very forward to making some shit.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

sinner wrote:

$200 of that is the drill and other stuff which can be reused (fecl. acetone lasts for ages), $10 of it is for the PCB which you'd have to spend on vero too... so more like ~$70 to be able to do stuff that is fr less frustrating (IMO/IME)...

:idea: drill bits breaking.. I snap mine half way down the shaft when I get them so there's only a couple of mm sticking out the end of the cuhck.. less purchase area on the shaft length and since I started doing that I have only broken one in the last year or so (and thats' cos I left too much sticking out the chuck)...
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

rocklander wrote: :idea: drill bits breaking.. I snap mine half way down the shaft when I get them so there's only a couple of mm sticking out the end of the cuhck.. less purchase area on the shaft length and since I started doing that I have only broken one in the last year or so (and thats' cos I left too much sticking out the chuck)...
now that there is a great tip.... Never thought that!

wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

That sounds like an idea. Just to clarify; I take my new drill bit out of it's packet and snap it in half?

And that is a great tip (no pun) :wink:
abfackeln wrote:
rocklander wrote: :idea: drill bits breaking.. I snap mine half way down the shaft when I get them so there's only a couple of mm sticking out the end of the cuhck.. less purchase area on the shaft length and since I started doing that I have only broken one in the last year or so (and thats' cos I left too much sticking out the chuck)...
now that there is a great tip.... Never thought that!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

yup.. I snap it at the point where the shaft ends and .. um.. 'drilly bit' starts.. otherwise they snap in the aforementioned 'drilly bit' which does matter rather than the shaft which matters not so much.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

Thanks man - I understand now and think it's a good idea. Thanks.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

rocklander wrote:.. um.. 'drilly bit' starts.. ...
The engineering term is flutes, but drilly bit describes it perfectly. :applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

Need a smaller collet for my dremel so I had to use a corded hand drill. Just going through my box of parts now to whack them in.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

love your combination of first threads:

"Just made my first pcb!"
followed by
"making pedals and selling them"

classic :lol:

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Throw away those HSS bits and get yourself some carbide ones. They last 10 times longer and don't generally go dull!

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/5pcnewwirsiz.html

#65 for fat leads like 1N4001 and #70 for resistors and caps, etc.

Plus, this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ ... reId=10051

Keep your receipt for the Dremel! They have a 5 year warranty. I managed to burn the motor out in one.

wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

Yeah I know. I was thinking about the future. :wink:
Seiche wrote:love your combination of first threads:

"Just made my first pcb!"
followed by
"making pedals and selling them"

classic :lol:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

wolfy wrote:Seems to be all right so far. Just got to drill.

I got:

150mmx150mm board - $9
Ltr of Acetone - $9
Dremel 4000 - $200

I am fully stoked!

Ammonium Persulphate is a good alternative etchant to Ferric Chloride, because the Ammonium Persulphate Etchant solution is colourless, it doesn't stain clothing material like Ferric Chloride can.... :thumbsup

You can order a special circuit board lacquer, which is solder-through, online from this website:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/

Here's what Ammonium Persulphate looks like:
Attachments
What Amonium Persulphate Powder Looks Like.JPG
Ammonium Persulphate Etchant
Ammonium Persulphate Etchant
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

wolfy
Information

Post by wolfy »

Thanks DrNorris - will try it next time.