solder pads-stupid question

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

this is stupid question, but ...... :?

how do they make those places ((where you solder)...solder pads on PCB) not covered with lacquer....?

it is stupid question, but what is the answer???

thanks

boris

BennyBoop
Information

Post by BennyBoop »

They remove the lacquer after the etching process.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

They remove the lacquer after the etching process.
NO :slap: :slap: :slap:
Actually, most professional PCB design programs provide for as many as 12 layers for a single PCB design - for example - a bottom layer, a top layer, a silkscreen layer, a solder layer etc.
The pads are usually inserted as multi layer elements by the design process - so a solder mask layer is very easy to implement. For the solder mask or the laquer layer the pads become holes in the lacquer coating. I do not manufacture commercial PCBs, but I would guess that the lacquer layer (including the pad holes) is sprayed onto the solder side of the board immediately after the etching process and before the solder side is tinned.
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I use common spray lacquer and it can be soldered over. I just spray the whole solder side and it's fine. In fact, I have read that the lacquer acts as a mild flux, and from my results I believe that this is the case. This isn't professional solder mask stuff, it's just common lacquer I get at the hardware store. It does work well as a mask too, and it does an excellent job of protecting the copper.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

I use common spray lacquer and it can be soldered over
I was thinking in that direction also........and question is how to make solder pads protected from being sprayed? little drop of candle wax first, and then spray it over and then remove wax.... :arrow: clean pad :?:

cheers
boris

now I spray all over pcb after soldering...so all is under lacquer :blackeye

after all it was stupid question :wink:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Me too! :blackeye :blackeye
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

soulsonic wrote:
Me too! :blackeye :blackeye

Mister soulsonic :thumbsup if You are doing it.........I'm gonna do it too :blackeye :blackeye :thumbsup

P.S.
what do you say about that wiggler? is it worth cloning? is sound good?

cheers
boris

BennyBoop
Information

Post by BennyBoop »

BennyBoop wrote:They remove the lacquer after the etching process.
Oh, saw that I missed the questionmark, haha.
Thank's for the description Baja. :wink: