Problems with PnP Blue toner tranfer

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
rutledj
Information

Post by rutledj »

I get good transfer to copper. Problem is that it is too good. A lot of my runs bleed together. Looking at the ckt on the PnP paper, it looks crisp and clear. Any suggestions how to get it crisp on the copper?

Thanks,
Rut

sfx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sfx »

It sounds like your iron is too hot and is melting the toner.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

For my first etching I had to wait some weeks while my batch of PNP was in the mail. By the time they arrived I found out that you could use

*inkjet paper in a laser printer
*more or less glossy magazine paper
*transparancy sheets
*ordinary paper: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=492&p=5885

My batch of PNP is still untouched... never have any problems with smeared traces. Mostly use magazine paper without problems. An important advantage to everything but PNP is that you can use an exacto knife to punch whole in the transfer (where there's no toner) so the air can escape easily and you get optimum adherence to the copper board.

If your iron tends to stick to the transfer (happens sometimes with glossy paper) put a normal sheet of paper in between the iron and the transfer. This may also help when ironing on PNP, because it absorbs and diffuses the heat a bit.

Overheating is a real problem with PNP, you are not alone.
Good luck!
Moved to FAQs!
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal