schematic to veroboard

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
kalamaca
Information

Post by kalamaca »

Hi, I'm trying to improve my schematics to veroboard at the mo and have been working at the MXR distortion plus as a starter... I breadboarded it and it worked now i've put it onto vero its not. Probing shows the signal is stopping at the end of R4 - and I'm wondering if my layout is bogus. I think i'm making things more complicated than they are in terms of the grounding... please let me know you're thoughts and if you have any tips or notice anything glarringly obvious...

The schematic I've been using is from http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/ ... t_plus.pdf

This is the vero i made (and there is a break between R2)

thanks again

P1NkY
Information
my favorite amplifier: I love 'em ALL
Completed builds: Many, many mods and even more (incomplete) builds!
Adult A.D.D. at it's finest!

Post by P1NkY »

Hi, Kalamaca.
Your vero layout is spot-on.
Time to recheck your jumper wires and trace cuts on your vero, I guess!
Re-check the IC orientation (hey, it happens!) and check for correct resistor values (sometimes in they can get mixed up in transit between the breadboard to vero trip!).
It's those little details that often elude us, no matter how many times we stare at the board and the schematic...

Great site, BTW! 1st post :)

rousejeremy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rousejeremy »

kalamaca wrote:Hi, I'm trying to improve my schematics to veroboard at the mo and have been working at the MXR distortion plus as a starter... I breadboarded it and it worked now i've put it onto vero its not. Probing shows the signal is stopping at the end of R4 - and I'm wondering if my layout is bogus. I think i'm making things more complicated than they are in terms of the grounding... please let me know you're thoughts and if you have any tips or notice anything glarringly obvious...

The schematic I've been using is from http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/ ... t_plus.pdf

This is the vero i made (and there is a break between R2)

thanks again

Did you get this working?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I've just built this - Thanks for the layout, kalamaca - And it seems to work OK.

One issue, however, is a distinctly underwhelming output level: Only with the volume control maxed does the distorted signal match the bypassed clean volume level. I should add that I used 1N34s for clipping instead of the 1N270s suggested: I've read elesewhere that these are suitable alternatives, but could they be responsible for the somewhat weedy volume? I'm planning to try out some LEDs in the clipping section to assess the effect on the sound of the pedal, and I understand they may yield more volume, but is there anything else I could try? Lower R7, perhaps?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

P1NkY
Information
my favorite amplifier: I love 'em ALL
Completed builds: Many, many mods and even more (incomplete) builds!
Adult A.D.D. at it's finest!

Post by P1NkY »

Nocentelli wrote:I've just built this - Thanks for the layout, kalamaca - And it seems to work OK.

One issue, however, is a distinctly underwhelming output level: Only with the volume control maxed does the distorted signal match the bypassed clean volume level. I should add that I used 1N34s for clipping instead of the 1N270s suggested: I've read elesewhere that these are suitable alternatives, but could they be responsible for the somewhat weedy volume? I'm planning to try out some LEDs in the clipping section to assess the effect on the sound of the pedal, and I understand they may yield more volume, but is there anything else I could try? Lower R7, perhaps?
Yeah, Nocentelli, in my experience 1n34s sound awesome, but they also limit the output a lot. Silicons sound a bit raspy and harsh, while letting lots of signal through. You are correct in that lowering R7 will boost the output. Good luck!

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Nocentelli wrote:I've just built this - Thanks for the layout, kalamaca - And it seems to work OK.

One thing to note is that my MXR Distortion + behaves that way. I'm not neccessarily saying that's the right way for one to act, but mine does. Its this version:

Let me know if you find out anything about that low volume. Its possible mine needs work.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: One thing to note is that my MXR Distortion + behaves that way. I'm not neccessarily saying that's the right way for one to act, but mine does...

Let me know if you find out anything about that low volume. Its possible mine needs work.

Do you think you would be able to check which diodes your D+ contains and report back?

I'm going to try the R7 mod tonight (swap the OG 10K for a 4K7), and see what effect that has on the volume - I'll let you know what happens.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Nocentelli wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote: One thing to note is that my MXR Distortion + behaves that way. I'm not neccessarily saying that's the right way for one to act, but mine does...

Do you think you would be able to check which diodes your D+ contains and report back?

I'm going to try the R7 mod tonight (swap the OG 10K for a 4K7), and see what effect that has on the volume - I'll let you know what happens.

Yeah, totally. I might not get a chance to till Thursday night but i'll put up a full parts list.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

OK, I swapped the R7 10k for a 4K7 and got a small but useful volume boost - If I can be bothered to get the soldering iron out again, I might drop it further to 2K2 and see what happens.