PCB Etching with plain copier paper

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Well, we have tried anything

Staples and other picture paper, PNP, magazine paper, transparancy sheets, cigarette paper and toilet paper.

But it works with the normal paper in your laser printer, if you know the how to use your paper the right side up. This paper has one side that's a bit more shiny than the other. That's the side to print on -- not just with pcb making but always.

I didn't take the smallest layout:

After cleaning pcb with steel wool and light fluid or acetone, put your iron on LINNEN (hottest), hold the paper steady and keep your iron fixed on top for a few minutes so paper sticks. After that iron the life out of that board. I also use the side of the iron to get a lot of pressure on one point. Don't forget the sides.10 minutes.

After that soak the board in warm water and gradually add cold water so the toner can safely set.

After a cup of tea well deserved you can rub off the paper with your thumbs

And as they say - the proof of the transfer is in the etching:

Did really nobody ever try to use normal paper? This would be too crazy!
Felt like sharing this at 3am in the morning...

Comments always welcome. MarkM, I KNOW you're sticking to PNP!!

:wink:

good night
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I have been using a KINSTEN coated product.
I print my tracks on some overhead transparency paper or mylar film etc. with my Canon mono laser printer (always print reverse, so it makes better contact with the coated copper side of the board).
Then place a small sheet of glass on top of the transparency to hold it close to the board - 30 seconds under the sunlamp - until the colour of the coating changes from green to blue. Then 30 seconds in the developing solution (Kinsten developer crystals) and perfect results every time - and VERY sharp images even with small track widths and fine writing etc.
Next etch with ammonium persulphate crystals for 5 to 10 minutes.
Hardest part - drilling the damn holes going cross eyed. :lol:
bajaman

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

bajaman wrote:I have been using a KINSTEN coated product.
I print my tracks on some overhead transparency paper or mylar film etc. with my Canon mono laser printer (always print reverse, so it makes better contact with the coated copper side of the board).
Then place a small sheet of glass on top of the transparency to hold it close to the board - 30 seconds under the sunlamp - until the colour of the coating changes from green to blue. Then 30 seconds in the developing solution (Kinsten developer crystals) and perfect results every time - and VERY sharp images even with small track widths and fine writing etc.
Next etch with ammonium persulphate crystals for 5 to 10 minutes.
Hardest part - drilling the damn holes going cross eyed. :lol:
bajaman
Hey Baja,

Your style is definately OLD SKOOL 8) , mine is more GHETTO STYLEE Cheapo: never buy and iron, there's one in every house. And minimal tools. Photodevelopment is probably faster if you have a lot of boards at the same time to do.

Try it one time! I should admit that for me part of the adrenaline rush is using my gf's expensive iron. :D
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

is the lighter fuel the one used for lighters?

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Hi Modman..........I was making boards with regular paper....laserjet 1000......iron(PHILIPS)......and I use HCL for cleaning toilets(18%), and hydrogen 12% for hair whitening.....

I was not satisfied every time, but now , I use Photo paper..(for inkjet printers) , and it is much better....and not expencive..... :thumbsup

boris

gingataff
Information

Post by gingataff »

Hi guys,
Am I right in thinking this works with laser printers but not inkjet?

Jay
Information

Post by Jay »

gingataff wrote:Hi guys,
Am I right in thinking this works with laser printers but not inkjet?
Thats right, inkjet wont work. Laser printer or copier will.

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Cambridge 30 R Twin
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

Any tips for securing the transfer onto the pcb while ironing?
To stop the iron from moving the transfer and smudging?

Will have to try paper next time, I've tried PnP and Acetate (OHP paper) so far..

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

kierc wrote:Any tips for securing the transfer onto the pcb while ironing?
To stop the iron from moving the transfer and smudging?

Will have to try paper next time, I've tried PnP and Acetate (OHP paper) so far..
just put it in some notebook with sheet of paper over it....no smudging....perfect..... :thumbsup

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

tried copier paper a long time ago, found it too insconsistent. i was very new to DIY though - this is about 6-8 years ago.

nowadays i use the backing of printable labels. comes out perfectly every time.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

TheAttackman
Information

Post by TheAttackman »

ok so i know that youre supposed to clean the lines up with a special marker (sharpie maybe)
whats to keep you from just drawing the layout with sharpie/marker... ya it would be sloppy... but would it work... :hmmm:

kierc
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Cambridge 30 R Twin
Completed builds: Clyde McCoy Wah with Whipple+Red Fasel inductor switch, Fuzz Face with own layout

Post by kierc »

You could always try with those stickers you can get to make the traces by hand... would be a bit tedious though!

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

TheAttackman wrote:ok so i know that youre supposed to clean the lines up with a special marker (sharpie maybe)
whats to keep you from just drawing the layout with sharpie/marker... ya it would be sloppy... but would it work... :hmmm:
There are special markers available in electronic stores. Mostly made for touch-ups when using tape/decal, but you can do the whole board with it ... If you look at old PCBs, they were drawn in elegant curves instead of straight and 45° lines typical of CAD software.

I don't often etch, but i did once with decals just for DIP packages (including lines between pads) then marker for all the rest. It worked fine, but don't hesitate to pass several times for good masking. A Sharpie should work quite well also, at least when quite new.

But for anything a bit complex or requiring good precision, you'll get better results with toner transfer.
I only give negative feedback.

TheAttackman
Information

Post by TheAttackman »

but for like a simple devi like the df or maybe a oscillator... itd work..

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

TheAttackman wrote:but for like a simple devi like the df or maybe a oscillator... itd work..
I used to do it originally (before I had a laser printer). successfully (although not pretty) did a few R.O.G. pedals (odie supreaux). laser printer and press'n'peel is my weapon of choice for now.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

hi modman, plain copier paper? is this what you're talkin about??

Is it the paper used in photocopiers??
Attachments
0307151216.jpg
0307151216.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 3264 times