PCB mounted Jacks and Foot Switches - yay or nay.

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

madbean wrote:I like the 'all on board approach'...been working on some designs lately that do this (single sided, though).
Regarding the "all on board" approach.. I'm not sure I agree.
I think you're putting stress on the board fitting switches and jacks to it.. especially if those components ever come loose, but even if they don't the mere act of plugging in and switching will cause mechanical stress.
A friend of mine who's been in the repair industry for around 4 decades says most the repairs he's had to make to pedals, by far, were a result of board mounted jacks.

(this isn't a shot at any particular builder, just a general comment on pedal construction).
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

I say i'd agree I think id rather the switch was board mounted then wired onto the main board (not too bothered about pots) Jacks I think are acceptable unless you accidently step on patch cables and pull them down, and with seperate components it does allow for easier repair rather than standardised parts but I don't think it would ever put me off a pedal anyway, I can see the attraction atleast, get it all done in one swift swoop and not have to bother with offboard wiring (which can also fail but I will admit is easier to sort)

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

Greg_G wrote:
madbean wrote:I like the 'all on board approach'...been working on some designs lately that do this (single sided, though).
Sorry to go OT here.. but regarding the "all on board" approach.. I'm not sure I agree.
I think you're putting stress on the board fitting switches and jacks to it.. especially if those components ever come loose, but even if they don't the mere act of plugging in and switching will cause mechanical stress.
A friend of mine who'd been in the repair industry for around 4 decades says most the repairs he's had to make to pedals, by far, were a result of board mounted jacks.

(this isn't a shot at any particular builder, just a general comment on pedal construction).
Those jacks are built with a little bit of give, and are super common a lot of different audio gear, especially rack gear. A big part of this is because a single jack can be used for multiple purposes. I've never had one cause a problem with the board in anything. The only problem I've ever had with them was in an old roland rack unit where the jack was supposed to re-rout a signal if you pulled the cable out. After sitting in someones rack for 10 years plugged in, one of the switching contacts wouldn't close when the cable was removed. My experience is that these jacks are actually at least as reliable as open jacks, and don't have the problem of spinning and breaking wires, or shorting something out if they come loose. You are right that they put stress on the board to a point, but either way it's a trade off.

Brad J
Information

Post by Brad J »

I don't dig the idea of board mounted 3pdt swiches, I've had 4 or 5 pedals shipped to me with loose switch nuts, unnoticed it's gonna cause problems.

The selector switch on this is board mounted also, no nut to secure it to the case, that kinda worries me too.

Not a criticism, but merely an observation.

Looking forward to those pics Lawnchair :horsey:

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

Brain M.. my concern is for the stress imposed on the pcb from the jacks in use.. not the quality of the jacks.
I can see that designs like this speed up assembly, I just have concerns about problems down the track.

Brad J.. Agreed- If that top nut on the 3PDT comes loose, then you're flexing the pcb against the jacks every time you step on it.
If it has a plastic washer it probably doesn't even need to be loose.. then you have the flex from a thin wall diecast aluminum box too.

Brad J
Information

Post by Brad J »

paulc wrote: It's the pc mount DC jacks that caused most of the problems I've seen.
The DLS has got that also, not a big deal for myself as my pedals stay stuck on my board, but for someone who plugs and unplugs regularly and could errantly step on it, it is a weak point for sure,

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

Spewbag wrote:I've seen things lodged in flux...............obviously you haven't.

BTW It's more than personal/esthetic's go look at an IPC manual.........See this is the problem.A Builder will spend 100's of hours researching circuits but only spend an hour familiarizing themselves with a solder iron. Don't believe me??? Go look at any number of gut shots on this site..........just damn sad that's all I got to say.".
you're right - I've not seen anything lodged in flux in the 20 years I've been doing this stuff pro. I've seen lots of little bits of wire rolling around in things though causing problems. The flux in stuff I use get's hard in a few seconds, and you can chip it off. It's not sticky, and i can't see how things can get stuck to it. I've never seen it happen.

You've got the right to your opinion though, and I'll never say you're wrong for it. It does look better when cleaned off, and for certain types of flux you must clean it off.

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

Greg_G wrote:
Sorry to go OT here.. but regarding the "all on board" approach.. I'm not sure I agree.
A friend of mine who's been in the repair industry for around 4 decades says most the repairs he's had to make to pedals, by far, were a result of board mounted jacks.

We gave this a lot of thought and crunched a lot of numbers... Using this build method we've quadrupled our thruput, thus lowered our retail prices significantly and now we deliver a much more consistent product. Since we offer a lifetime warranty I decided that IF something failed, (which it is not specifically more inclined to do so if designed well) it was cost effective for us to simply send a replacement to a person if need be. Seems like a win/win. Handwired designs are freaking expensive to build well at scale, if you have a staff of folks working for you as we have at Catalinbread you quickly see the limitations pile up due to human error. We still build our stuff by hand but we are certainly NOT a boutique shop in this regard.
:thumbsup

PmCimini
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by PmCimini »

I can't wait :horsey:

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Seishin: Thanks for sharing your perspective as a full-time producer of commercial pedals. I'm sure we all appreciate the insight into your operations. Certainly, it's one thing to bang out a few one-offs in your basement, and quite another to have to scale up production to accommodate a global customer base. I can only imagine what it is like to be in your shoes. Thanks again for your candor and input.

Brad J
Information

Post by Brad J »

culturejam wrote:Seishin: Thanks for sharing your perspective as a full-time producer of commercial pedals. I'm sure we all appreciate the insight into your operations. Certainly, it's one thing to bang out a few one-offs in your basement, and quite another to have to scale up production to accommodate a global customer base. I can only imagine what it is like to be in your shoes. Thanks again for your candor and input.
I agree :thumbsup

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

10 specifically due to a failed switch. We generally catch them before they ship. We've had a few more repairs than 10 for other reasons which I've addressed with our build methods. :)
TJSmitty wrote:
Spewbag wrote:Number one: Anything that gets soldered in my shop gets cleaned.It's the practices of the majority of board house in the U.S. as well as over seas,It looks professional and doesn't take much time to do.

Number two: Regardless if flux is no-clean or not it does attract foreign substances. at best it can attract dust ,dirt and whatever foreign crap thats at your gig area and at worst all it takes is one clipped guitar string,washer or any other metal to get stuck on there and created a nice short.

Bottom line it's lazy not to clean up after your work.

P.S. There also WAY too much solder on those joints..........Someone needs to take a class.

I strongly disagree with your points, and I think you're propogating some flawed information.

The flux is a non-issue. There's no property of it that would or would not "attract" particles, thats a common myth. Second, the solder joints are fine. Thick, but fine. Recently, Nic commented that out of 6,000 Catalinbread units shipped in the last few years, only 10 had issues, and a few of those weren't construction/part related. The joints are nothing to worry about.

Seishin
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Seishin »

culturejam wrote:Seishin: Thanks for sharing your perspective as a full-time producer of commercial pedals. I'm sure we all appreciate the insight into your operations. Certainly, it's one thing to bang out a few one-offs in your basement, and quite another to have to scale up production to accommodate a global customer base. I can only imagine what it is like to be in your shoes. Thanks again for your candor and input.

Thanks for this... The business bullshit and struggles is something I'd happily share around these parts. There are already plenty of great engineer and designer types around here, I can contribute in other meat and potatoes sorts of ways... But business stuff ain't as sexy as reverse engineering and 10 times as big a headache.
8)

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

Seishin wrote: We gave this a lot of thought and crunched a lot of numbers... Using this build method we've quadrupled our thruput, thus lowered our retail prices significantly and now we deliver a much more consistent product. Since we offer a lifetime warranty I decided that IF something failed, (which it is not specifically more inclined to do so if designed well) it was cost effective for us to simply send a replacement to a person if need be. Seems like a win/win. Handwired designs are freaking expensive to build well at scale, if you have a staff of folks working for you as we have at Catalinbread you quickly see the limitations pile up due to human error. We still build our stuff by hand but we are certainly NOT a boutique shop in this regard.
:thumbsup
Sure, I understand your decision from a production point of view.. and you can't be fairer than a lifetime warranty.. although I suspect that non-US customers may see that as less useful.

As I said.. it's a general observation and not aimed at Catalinbread in particular..
I'm just of the belief that having a number of items in different planes screwed to a thin case and soldered to a pcb is not the best way to go.
The fasteners will loosen or move at some time, and there will be shock and stress transferred to the board.

I'm sure there are many pedals built with these methods that have been working for decades, but I know many have also failed because of it, and I've seen many older pedals with repairs in these areas.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Greg_G wrote:Brain M.. my concern is for the stress imposed on the pcb from the jacks in use.. not the quality of the jacks.
I can see that designs like this speed up assembly, I just have concerns about problems down the track.

Brad J.. Agreed- If that top nut on the 3PDT comes loose, then you're flexing the pcb against the jacks every time you step on it.
If it has a plastic washer it probably doesn't even need to be loose.. then you have the flex from a thin wall diecast aluminum box too.
Well, I think i already said that - yes there will be stress on the board - I simply said that open jacks have their own problems. those jacks are soldered in 6 different places, and will distribute pressure pretty evenly. Modern pcb material is a lot less brittle than the stuff from 40 years ago.

As far as the 3pdt coming loose it's not as if that switch will have a lot of room to go further down with the back cover on... Although i suppose this could lead to problems with the switch it's self more than the PCB.

One advantage of putting components on the board is that it keeps everything on a plane. In general less noise... true bypass pedals tend to pop less as well.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

The back of the box will stop the switch breaking the board if it comes loose ??
Wow. That's a scarey thought.. :D
(BTW - on a 125 box it's about 1/2 an inch away)

Sorry, agree to disagree I guess..
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but my experience is in the mechanical field and involves analysing failure of components... I just don't think it's the best way to build a circuit if you're going for maximum reliability.
I don't think you'd ever see something like say a Cornish with the switches and jacks mounted on the board.
You may choose to build that way for the sake of streamlining production, and that's fine, but I think you must accept that it's more likely to be a cause of problems than not mounting to the board... and I think pretty much anyone with a lot of service history on these things would tell you the same.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

I thought this was better in it's own thread as it was taking the DLS thread off course.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Greg_G wrote:The back of the box will stop the switch breaking the board if it comes loose ??
Wow. That's a scarey thought.. :D
(BTW - on a 125 box it's about 1/2 an inch away)

Sorry, agree to disagree I guess..
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but my experience is in the mechanical field and involves analysing failure of components... I just don't think it's the best way to build a circuit if you're going for maximum reliability.
I don't think you'd ever see something like say a Cornish with the switches and jacks mounted on the board.
You may choose to build that way for the sake of streamlining production, and that's fine, but I think you must accept that it's more likely to be a cause of problems than not mounting to the board... and I think pretty much anyone with a lot of service history on these things would tell you the same.
well, i dont see the cornish name on it, nor do i see the cornish price tag.
Building stuff this way certainly reduces the possibility of mistakes.
All i was trying to say is that damage to the switch is far more likely than the pcb... and that's not a 125 box.

One observation: I've known a few guys that spend a lot of their time fixing electronics. The old guys like things the old ways... It's their comfort zone, and this isn't just about electronics. They like old music. They think people younger than them are going to cause the downfall of civilization, and start many of their sentences with "back in my day..."
Younger guys I've known who do repair work aren't usually bothered by PCB mount everything as much. Sure if you take apart a modern synthesizer you have to take out 9 circuit boards to get to the component that needs to be replaced... but they all come out in an organized way, and it is generally pretty easy to put back together.
I know from my own experience I am more comfortable working on PCB amps than P2P. Whenever I work on a P2P amp I am usually convinced something will short out and blow up as soon as i put it back together.

In defense of the older guys, younger guys are generally snotty, ruining the world, and like crappy music. :D

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

Brian M wrote: well, i dont see the cornish name on it, nor do i see the cornish price tag.
Building stuff this way certainly reduces the possibility of mistakes.
All i was trying to say is that damage to the switch is far more likely than the pcb... and that's not a 125 box.

One observation: I've known a few guys that spend a lot of their time fixing electronics. The old guys like things the old ways... It's their comfort zone, and this isn't just about electronics. They like old music. They think people younger than them are going to cause the downfall of civilization, and start many of their sentences with "back in my day..."
Younger guys I've known who do repair work aren't usually bothered by PCB mount everything as much. Sure if you take apart a modern synthesizer you have to take out 9 circuit boards to get to the component that needs to be replaced... but they all come out in an organized way, and it is generally pretty easy to put back together.
I know from my own experience I am more comfortable working on PCB amps than P2P. Whenever I work on a P2P amp I am usually convinced something will short out and blow up as soon as i put it back together.

In defense of the older guys, younger guys are generally snotty, ruining the world, and like crappy music. :D
Brian

Please understand that I've said from the start that my observations were general and applied to pedals in general, so the size of this particular box doesn't matter.

I don't think Cornish pedals cost so much because of where he chooses to put the jacks and switches, but the Cornish was just used as an example that he wouldn't use board mounted parts because they aren't the route to maximum reliability.. "in my opinion". And it is just my opinion.. based on what I've been told and what I've seen.
You don't have to use open jacks because you're not mounting them on the board.

I'm not sure how the old vs young thing applies here, but I guess I fit into the old category..
:mrgreen:

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Greg_G wrote:
Brian

Please understand that I've said from the start that my observations were general and applied to pedals in general, so the size of this particular box doesn't matter.

The Cornish was just used as an example that he wouldn't use board mounted parts because they aren't the route to maximum reliability "in my opinion". And it is just my opinion.. based on what I've been told and what I've seen.
You don't have to use open jacks because you're not mounting them on the board.

I'm not sure how the old vs young thing applies here, but I guess I fit into the old category..
:mrgreen:
I'll add another variable as well. most pedals built in a 1590B or 125B enclosure encourage user access. whatever parts are not mounted to a pcb must be connected with wire, and if the user powers their pedals with batteries they will constantly be opening them and some are more clumsy than others... and others are simply inquisitive. If everything is PCB mounted it is a lot harder for them to mess things up. I can't speak for Nic, but I can tell you that for us the biggest reasons thing end up coming back to us. The biggest one is from users taking apart the pedal and not putting it back together correctly. The second biggest reason is us making a mistake during manufacture. Both of these are part of reliability, and PCB mounting all the components helps alleviate both of them. The third biggest reason is hardware failure. Typically a 3pdt failure, and most of those came from one batch i bought about 4 years ago. Neither build technique would really make any difference there.

the point is, if a switch comes loose, and you step on it hard enough something is going to break. Regarding the 1590B box i don't think it's going to have enough room to crack the circuit board. If you have a 3pdt with all connections made with wire, and the nut comes loose, the switch is still going to sink down to the bottom plate. The lugs are held in place only with epoxy and nothing else. I'm not sure how much force it's going to take before the epoxy begins to lose it's grip on the lugs. It's probably a lot less than your average guitar player weighs. Either way there is the same potential for damaging the pedal.

Your gripe seems to be a lot less about reliability than it is about how much of a pain it would be to fix. That's where the old way vs new way came from. Sorry if i was not clear. I think building stuff this way probably decreases infancy failure rate a lot... especially for a growing company. I know for us, it is getting harder and harder to make pedals the way we do... I have one guy that does all the final assembly, and wire work. That's basically all he does. It requires a lot more time to familiarize someone with building a product that way... And the worst part is, as the owner, I always find my self scrutinizing the finest details, saying "well i would have done it this way." Not that his way isn't just as good... but it's not my way. I'd hate to think of what it would be like if i had 10 guys doing that same job... or even worse, if the current guy quit. he was sort of eased in to it as the company grew, and he had plenty of electronics experience. (He still does repair work on the side) Having someone else do that job now would basically be a huge pain, and would probably lead to a few unreliable pedals slipping out the door.

And yes you can use close jacks that are not PCB mounted, but they'll still have the same problems. They come loose, potential for wire to break, or if they are close enough put stress on the PCB.