Am I that stupid? Veroboard layout advice needd

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
blackhouse
Information
my favorite amplifier: Montgomery Ward/Airline GIM-9171A

Post by blackhouse »

If I'm looking at a veroboard layout is it supposed to be viewed as if you're looking at the strip side? In other words, when looking at the component side should I reverse it? I attempted to build a Fuzzrite and I'm thinking that I just built it backwards. Fighting back tears. Help! :cry:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

you are viewing it from the top(component) side. imagine the trace cuts as being on the other side of the board. good luck, i'm sure such things have happened to the best of us in the beginning.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Yep... it takes a little getting used to when you flip it over, and you have to be careful when making the cuts, etc.

I often use Vero when making a proto or a one off, but it's really a PITA.
It's slow to build because you're always counting holes and double checking.. and it's pretty easy to get a whisker of solder across a couple of tracks or something... maybe it's the Vero I have, but the masking between tracks is not very effective.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

blackhouse
Information
my favorite amplifier: Montgomery Ward/Airline GIM-9171A

Post by blackhouse »

Ok good, I built it as if I was looking through the non-copper side and arranged it as such. Must be bad wiring or soldering somewhere. I'll do some testing and see what's up. All I've done so far are mods. This is my first build from the ground up, so I thought veroboard would be a good start. Is perfboard preferable? I have the supplies to etch my own pcb as well, but I figured I should start simple before taking leaps and bounds. But if it turned out that pcb was the way to go I could be converted. Thanks for the help!

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

there really is no "best" way. it just comes down to personal preference. vero is good for simple circuits, but you do have to be very careful when laying out and soldering. watch out for bridges. don't be afraid to run an exacto knife down the edges of the strips. then take some rubbing alchohol and wipe of the excess flux and residue that you've scraped off. i prefer pcb's for more complicated circuits, and they are much easier to get right the first time. usually if you take your time, very little debugging of the pcb will have to be done. they aren't that hard to etch, and the only way you can find out is to give it a try. just don't be afraid if you screw up your first etching, and make sure that you have a proper way to drill your boards. a press is pretty mandatory.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

station
Information
my favorite amplifier: Homemade 18 Watt w/ 2xEL84 and tremolo.
Completed builds: Big Muff Pi (mostly violet Ram's head with my own bias and impedence mods)
OCD, BYOC OD-2, GGG Tube Screamer, Red Llama, Dallas Rangemaster, Fuzz Face, SHO, Valvecaster, Bajaman's CX-3, ROG 22/7, ROG Professor Tweed, ROG Tri-Vibe, MXR Dynacomp, Mxr Phase 45, Proco Rat (with clippping mods), EA Tremolo, PT 80 Delay so many more...

Post by station »

When I do a vero layout I bring up two copies of the image on my computer screen. Then I flip one horizontally so I have a reference for the trace side too. Good luck!