OHT for toner transfer?

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

Just wondering if it's possible to use laser printer OHT sheets for toner transfer. I was planning to try doing Frequency Central's OHT graphic method, but my wife got me OHT sheets for a laser printer, which won't work with our inkjet printer. So, I was just trying to figure out a use for the paper. I figured it would be good to use as a barrier inside an enclosure to prevent shorts, and also be good to use for drilling templates.

rackham
Information

Post by rackham »

Yup, works a treat.

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory

Post by Mr. G. »

Sweet! I'll have to give it a try then. Anything I should know about it first? Should I use some sort of barrier, like wax paper or something, between the OHT and the iron? Does the OHT need to be cool or still hot when removing it from the board?

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory

Post by Mr. G. »

I tried it yesterday, it it would have worked great had the printer put enough toner on the sheet. I was able to go over the transfer with a sharpie to fill in the gaps. I'll try it again if I can get the printer to print more toner onto the sheet.

Definitely have to use a lower temperature on the iron, though.

zzzapfizz
Information

Post by zzzapfizz »

Most copy machines and laser printers are fixing the toner to paper with 180-220 Celsius.
If the machine has a media setting for OHT it will usually fixate at some 20 degree lower.

Many modern color laser machines operate with a little lower temperature on the fixing rollers than older b/w machines.
If one want to transfer pcb layout to OHT with one of these one have to make sure it is set to b/w as it will try to make the colors transparent for us to see colors on the over head screen. ie thin layer of toner. Even better if one is able to trick the machine to believe the media is heavy paper as more toner will stay on the paper/oht.