PCB/Stompbox Design & Wiring Aesthetics Discussion

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
Evz
Information
Completed builds: TS9
Big Muff
Micro Amp
Phase 90
Fuzz Face
Rangemaster

Post by Evz »

I'm not sure if such a thread already exists, but i just wanted to share some ideas, pose concearns and see if there is something optimal in all.

So let me being by saying, i have made several stompboxes - with pre-made layouts (ei-Tonepad) to self-designed (not advanced) layouts.
Now in my layouts i have experimented with pcb mounted stompswitched as 9v adapters - but with little success as when fitted on the board, the switch did not sit well, along with difficulties in drilling proper holes for mounting - so that was a disaster; but it worked...

Currently i have several projects lined up and have been working on making layouts with PCB mounted input jacks instead - Neutrik style - but as 2 have arrived in the mail recently for me to make sure everything will fit, i ran into a dilemma, when the jacks are fit side by side into a Hammond 1590B enclosure - they do not fit due to the little dimple at the end.

So here begins the discussion- the questions of aesthetics are my main point, i have thought over layout design and box guts when going over my layouts, so what i was thinking; would it be easier to organize a pcb with all wires on one side, that is not attached to pcb jacks (use panel jack ei switchcraft) and attach the pcb to the enclosure using standoffs?

Would it be easier to wire everything by hand rather than use up board space to etch the jacks?

On another note - would it be 'cooler' or more 'vintage' to make something on a mini turret? (such as fuzzes/boosters)

What do you guys prefer/think?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

there were a number of posts about this sort of thing just recently. i think if you do a search, you'll find many an opinion on the matter. search for spaghetti wiring, and some of the other keywords in your initial post.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO