Digital multimeters DMM: which one to buy?

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.
Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I'm thinking about replacing my crappy Radio shack DMM with a new unit (one with built-in Hfe measurement). Do you all have any suggestions? Brands you like? Specific models that maximize bang-for-the-buck potential?

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Metrix is the top to me. But they're expensive... I love the MTX 3250 though I can't afford one now (but I did use some at University)...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i was at home depot the other day and saw this cool new ryobi rechargable dealie. it looks straight out of the new star trek movie too. very nice and simple layout, auto everything, nice rubbery grip, crazy black and lime green color scheme, and no batteries. i guess that's why it's green! don't know if it had trannie sockets though.

i'll see if i can find a pic.

-----------

hmmm. can't seem to find anything on it. i think it's part of a new line they have coming out. it was on an endcap display, and was surrounded by a bunch of other products of theirs with that crazy hot green and black color scheme. i think it might've been some sort of father's day promo. maybe it's too new?

i just use a 30 dollar one i found on amazon. it was the cheapest auto ranging one i could find.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

willc1968
Information
my favorite amplifier: Kustom K 200 A-4 in red
Completed builds: kay fuzz, clark fuzz, ea tremelo, green ringer, tremelus lune, a few big muffs, fuzz face and factory, sft, woolly mamoth, a bunch of tonebenders and many more that need to be boxed

Post by willc1968 »

try all electronics. i have the 18 dollar velleman and it has the hfe function. i have been using this for over a year and it is great for an inexpensive meter. this was just going to be a backup to my elenco meter but i find the velleman to be just as good. no capacitance function though. that would be on the 45 dollar model and i know nothing of that.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

RnFR wrote:i was at home depot the other day and saw this cool new ryobi rechargable dealie. it looks straight out of the new star trek movie too. very nice and simple layout, auto everything, nice rubbery grip, crazy black and lime green color scheme, and no batteries. i guess that's why it's green! don't know if it had trannie sockets though.

i'll see if i can find a pic.

-----------

hmmm. can't seem to find anything on it. i think it's part of a new line they have coming out. it was on an endcap display, and was surrounded by a bunch of other products of theirs with that crazy hot green and black color scheme. i think it might've been some sort of father's day promo. maybe it's too new?

i just use a 30 dollar one i found on amazon. it was the cheapest auto ranging one i could find.
anything like this? - if so.. looks very cool bro :D
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/tek4/ ... ent/RP4020#
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... &langId=-1

yeah that's it! it looks WAY more green in person though. pretty sweet meter, huh?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

audioimage
Information
my favorite amplifier: VOX AC30

Post by audioimage »

Hi I just purchased the one here for $9.90 USD and the shipping was only $4.21 USD:

http://www.futurlec.com/Multimeters.shtml
"No matter how I try, I find my way to the same old jam"

Good Times Bad Times

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

I have that one for almost 10 years, works like a charm :
http://www.p-mastech.com/products/04_dm/my64.html

I know modman has the same model : members/modman/builds/hb_ga5/DSCN0043.jpg
I only give negative feedback.

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Thanks for the info, Jim. I need to pick one up that has capacitance and a better hfe socket. I bought my first one before I realized I'd be addicted and then bought a cheap one for the hfe tester alone, but cheap hfe sockets are useless and only work after 10 minutes of trying to get it to make contact and read the transistor.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I picked up the Mastech meter that Jim posted. I like it just fine, but the hfe measurement seems a bit weird.

For example, a 2n3904 datasheet will list @ Ic = 10mA, Vce = 1.0V, hfe = 100 min, 300 max. However, the manual for the meter says that the hfe test conditions are Ic = 10mA, Vce = 3V.

What I need to figure out is the right way to convert what the meter tells me, to what standard test conditions on a datasheet would provide. Anyway....i'm working that issue right now.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

[smilie=a_peek.gif]
JiM wrote:I know modman has the same model : members/modman/builds/hb_ga5/DSCN0043.jpg
Hey! :mrgreen:
It's not the cheapest one, but you can do decent capacitance measurements, and something very important I missed in cheaper models: sonic continuity check, so you can verify connections very easily. That's would have saved me so much trouble a few years ago.... you know, what's that bleeping noise mean?

http://www.ladyada.net/library/metertut/continuity.html
with video demonstrating 'bleeping noise' syndrome :wink:
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

This is the one that I bought. Digital Multimeter Model # LCM-1950. It has really nice specs and was the only DMM I could find that measured/tested transistors, diodes, capacitors, and inductors all in one unit. Maybe Im just a noob, but I couldnt find any others that had all of those features. And since I was into modding wah pedals at the time, the inductance measuring was a big one. The max values this one is capable of measuring were also a plus. (Keep in mind I bought mine about a year ago so there might be better products... Mine was also cheaper when I bought it. I think it was 69.95, now its 74.95.) Also its not shown in the picture, but it comes with a rubber grip jacket. Check out the manual for specifics and a better picture of the unit. :)

A *quick* google search still shows the place I bought it to be the cheapest:
http://www.cs-sales.net/lcm1950.html
The page also has a link to the manual mentioned above.

jagermonster
Information

Post by jagermonster »

I've been using a friend's old POS for a while now, and would love to get a new one. On a budget of course.

Anyone have any experience with the B&K 2704C?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/BK- ... t70VY8HX94

Any recommendations? Thanks!

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Are you in the states?

I know nobody likes the Rat Shack but out of my stack of meters, this is my favorite. Price is good.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103175#

Pretty much does it all. It got goofy one day so I didn't touch it for two years. A few months back I cracked her open only to realize I blew a fuse. :slap: Luckily there were spares inside so now she's fine again. I'm sure there are sweeter ones out there but I noticed it while I was at the shack getting a few resistors so I figured what the hell, beats shopping online!
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

jagermonster wrote:I've been using a friend's old POS for a while now, and would love to get a new one. On a budget of course.

I haven't come across one of those at all,but,I do have something similar,it's my Dick Smith Electronics Q-1559 LCR Meter,I bought it back in 2009 before Dick Smith Electronics got out of the DIY scene and started focusing on consumer electronics,it cost me $99.00 Australian,it basically does everything I need it to do and is easy to use.... :)
Attachments
DSE Q-1559 LCR Meter
DSE Q-1559 LCR Meter
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

jagermonster wrote:I've been using a friend's old POS for a while now, and would love to get a new one. On a budget of course.

I have a 2704B and like it a lot. Not familiar with the C though.
I have Flukes as well, but wanted a meter that could measure transistor gain. This one
measures capacitors as well. For somewhat on the cheap, I'm very happy with it.

http://www.frys.com/product/429530?site ... IN_RSLT_PG
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

I got mine off of ebay for $30 shipped USD. Really good meter with auto ranging functions. I believe it was called VC99. Knock-off of a Fluke but still works efficiently without giving me any problems.
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!

Tonetweaker
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Tonetweaker »

I bought a Fluke 77 IV awhile back. Not as inexpensive as some of the ones mentioned already, but it's damn-near indestructible... and when it comes to my tendency to knock things off my workbench while I'm working, that's definitely important. :lol:
In Soviet Russia, dirt box fucks YOU!! ~ Seiche

amptramp
Information

Post by amptramp »

Just a couple of comments:

hfe measurements can be "spoofed" by leakage current. If you are using germanium transistors, make sure the meter can separate leakage from current gain.

Some meters have an upper limit of 2 megohms (actually 1999 Kohms). Higher values are common in LFO's and tube circuits and there is no indication at all if the values are higher. Even if you use a 1.8 megohm resistor, the tolerance may very well put it above the limit. The maximum resistance in standard carbon resistors is 22 megohms, so my 30 megohm meter has me covered.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

What's a good affordable multimeter? Must have capacitance, and hfe capabilities. Going to be used primarily for diy pedal building.

Here's what I've found thus far - know of anything better at same price point?
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=904
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

for less than that you can get autoranging
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-0-lcd-ha ... -aaa-37082
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.