Automatic Wire Strippers!

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.
Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I'm getting damn tired of stripping wires in stompbox builds. Shit takes too long and its just no fun. So i'm thinking about getting a set of automatic wire strippers. My problem is that there are a lot out there, and very few of them will do small gauge wire.

So....anyone have any recommendations for an auto-stripper that will work with 24-gauge wire? maybe 22-gauge?

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

wow. that looks cool. seems like it might not be terribly practical for my use, though. like, I dont know if i'd want to have this 450F thing on all the time just in case i need to strip wire, nor do I think i'd wanna plug it in each time i'd wanna strip wire. Do you have experience with one? Is it as much of a hassle as i'm thinking?

also, did some research on mechanical strippers and learned that the affordable Klein strippers (~$60) will do smaller gauge wire with the proper replacement blades, which sort of solves my problem. I know that Klein tools are good, so i'm set UNLESS anyone has any recommendation for a more economical version?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i got these from radio shack. they are actually really nice.
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/radi ... er-reviews

they work fine on smaller gauge wire, you just have to set them up right, or you might get a little nick where it grabs the wire before it pulls it apart. my guess is that is par for the course here though. i've had mine for quite a while now with no problems. i think i paid around 15 bucks.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I just use these.. my technique is the only real problem.. I usually manage to nick one or two strands :x

world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Geoffrey Teese
Information

Post by Geoffrey Teese »

Cool! I haven't had one of these since '95. I just bought one so they're down to 2 in stock.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

FUUUUUCK.....got some of the Klein auto-strippers for christmas and finally put em to use last night. Holy shit, is that ever nice. The only problem i had was that on small gauge wire (22 or 24) the insulation is thin enough that it gets kinda chewed up by the gripping jaws on this thing. Its not enough to expose conductor, but its close. I put some small pieces of electrical tape on the jaws and that seemed to help. But man....talk about a time saver. way cool.

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

I use one like this http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/produ ... ts_id=5164

I got it for five bucks at a discount hardware store, works great.

McElroy0717
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by McElroy0717 »

I have had these for nearly 7 years. Used them every day at work for 6 years and they are amazing. No problem with wires all the way down to 24awg
http://www.wassco.com/Products/Paladin- ... 24011.aspx